Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Trailboss clutch spring...What did i do wrong?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 12:59 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailboss clutch spring...What did i do wrong?!?

ok i installed a "white" primary clutch spring in my 04 trailboss last night. i was told this was the best spring to use. anyway, i took it for a drive today and it did not feel right at all. i have to push the throttle in all the way to get it to even move at first, once im up to speed everything seems normal, but the low end is terrible...is this how this spring is supposed to feel or did i completely do something wrong...i followed these instructions (compliments of 2manytoys):

1) Keep the bike on the ground and take the floor board off.
2) Take all the 3/8 bolts out of the cvt cover and undo rubber boot on housing intake.
3) Remove the housing. Be careful of the CVT gasket.
4) Stick a long extension or something like it down through the primary clutch and against the floorboard support so when you loosen the bolts the primary wont turn.
5) Loosen the center 5/8 bolt so you can turn it with fingers but dont take it out yet.
6) Take all the 3/8 bolts out from the basket but mark it before you remove it because they are balanced and need to go back the same way.
7) Remove the center bolt and there will also be a plastic bushing that the center bolt goes through. Make sure you put this back.
8) remove spring.
9) Install new spring and put it back together going from step 7 back to step 1.

Put the extension or whatever on the opposite side of the clutch so when you tighten it wont turn with you. You can tighten the center bolt pretty tight but dont muscle the 6 clutch basket bolts. They will strip pretty easily. Just make them snug then turn them a little more. About 1/8 of a turn once snug. Thats about it.

thanks for any help

dan

Old 06-13-2005, 02:19 AM
Pro Rider

sounds like u did it all right, i guess i would jsut take it apart and try it again. nothin else u can really do but that. just my 2 cents though.

Old 06-13-2005, 02:39 AM
Pro Rider

May take some getting used too since the spring raises the engagement rpm. Is your belt slipping? You may need a new belt

Old 06-13-2005, 07:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thats exactly why I use the EPI pink instead of white spring. It takes to much to get it to move and it sucks when trying to get over loggs and rocks. The pink will give the same engagement but pulls hard from bottom to top. It sounds like you did everything right and there really isnt anything you can do wrong with the primary spring. Did you make sure the white bushing in the center bolt went back in?

Old 06-13-2005, 02:21 PM
Trailblazer

thanks for the replies...2many, everything was put back together correctly...no left over parts[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]...anyway, is the pink spring you are talking about a polaris part? or somehting else...of so whats the part number or somewhere i can get it...thanks again...ill be putting the stock spring back in for now[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 06-13-2005, 07:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Go to erlandsonperformance and get the part # patv8 pink primary spring. I really think you will like this one. I have tried alot of springs and this performs the best in the 330.

Old 06-13-2005, 11:47 PM
Trailblazer

thanks again 2many...anyone wanna buy a white spring?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-14-2005, 12:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am also running the pink spring and love it. I had a red spring before, and it pulls mid up just like the pink, only the engament rpm is higher. So if the pink isn't exactly what you are looking for, try the red. Just my .02
Jason

Old 06-14-2005, 07:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

He is trying to get away from the higher engagement.The red has a much higher engagement with good midrange but flattens out on the top. The pink has a higher top end. The maroon has even better midrange but may be to high on the top. So far the pink has been great. Now if there was a spring that had stock take off with the midrange of the red and topend of the pink that would be awsome.

Old 08-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Newbi here. Great forum. I've had my Trailboss about 2 weeks and barely ridden it, let alone know of all the goodies I'll be buying for it. What is all this white, pink red spring? Something like a hole-shot torque converter for street racers (car-types)?

Quick Reply: Trailboss clutch spring...What did i do wrong?!?