Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman headlight mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman headlight mod

Hi guys. New to the forum and look forward to further use.

I just picked up my first new ATV the Polaris Sportsman 800 Twin EFI yesterday. I love it! I have read the forums for a while now and have a few questions.

1- How do you mod the headlights so the lows stay on when you select the high beam light?

2- Who is Rick Ritter, how do I get in touch with him, and is this Dalton blue primary spring worth it?

3- Is there any mods or things to do that really make a difference? So far I've only put .8 hr on it and plan on riding the h#!! out of it!

For those interested I picked the 800 from other ATV for these reasons
1- The dealer has one good reputation and excellent customer service
2- the 800 has the features and the things that I wanted in a new ATV
3- I like how it looks and sounds
4- It's parts are well built, solid, and a lot beefier than others
5- American made and owned
6- No one in my neighborhood or other friends own a Polaris ATV

Absolutly not to bash anybody or their bike. I looked at other machines, rode other machines, and made an informed decision to buy this particular ATV. I'm looking forward to a long time of riding and enjoying life and the country on this machine.

Old 04-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

I have made a few 3 head light conversions. I first did it using diodes but had to rethink it. I am sure Polaris didn't size the headlight switch for the extra current that all three headlights would use. I have since redid it using a common automotive relay. That way the switch does not see all the current. I think the switch is over $60 to replace.

Anyway I just uploaded my schematic (to my pictures) that should help you do it yourself. It will take a short time to be approved.

Old 04-08-2005, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

Take alook at my site ... i used a relay and switch to control the low beams.

Old 04-08-2005, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

Hey just wanted to say I was in and looked at your site awesome job man. Great site. I have the diode running my light conversion, should I change over to the realy and how does it wire up

Old 04-08-2005, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider

I have had multiple emails for the part numbers and directions so here they are for anyone who wants to make and install there own three headlight conversion kit. (all three headlight on when switched to high)

these directions will allow you to build your own headlight conversion kit to allow you to use the two lower headlights with the low beam activated and allow all three lights to turn on when the high beam is activated. the wire colors are for polaris but the kit will work with all quads with three headlights.
the parts you'll need are as follows:

6 amp. rectifier/diode(radio shack part number 276-1661)comes in pkg. of four.
6" of yellow wire
6" of green wire
heat shrink connectors or butt connectors
heat shrink tubing.
2 scotch lock connectors

start by using the heatshrink/butt connectors to connect the colored wires to the diode. if using the diodes from radio shack the green wire will connect to the end of the diode with the silver stripe while the yellow wire will connect to the black end of the diode. use heat shrink tubing to cover the connections and diode from moisture and dirt. use the scotch locks to connect color coded wires to headlight wires in factory harness. this harness is located underhood after removing the front rack. remove the four T25 bolts. green to green and yellow to yellow.

If using diodes other than ones from radioshack make sure flow goes from green wire to yellow. this will allow current to flow through green(high beam) wire and over to the yellow(low beam) wire while the high beams are on.

*****this "kit" was discovered by other forum members and is now being passed on to you for free so we can all stop making those freekin ebayers rich off of $3.00 worth of supplies.*****

Old 04-08-2005, 04:52 PM
Pro Rider

Dieselshadow,

Do a search on Rick Ritter I found this link to his website.

Did you get a winch with the 800? You asked about mods and if you don't have one, get it. It already has some pretty decent tires on it so you should be good to go there. My 2004.5 and the crappy Badlands so when I got the 05 700, I put the PXTs on the 500 and put the mudlites on the 700. So far I liking the mudlites other than the stuff flys off them all the time. The stock tires fit under the fenders and kept you somewhat clean. Other than that, how much power do you need?

Old 04-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I did get a winch for it, however it is not here yet. It should get here next week. I could not find your picture gallery xcrider, did you have one before you posted the diagram?

I'm always looking to improve! Let the BOMBing start!! Is anybody ever satisfied with "enough"? "Enough" would have been a 350 4X4. I don't need the 800, just wanted ungodly amounts of torque and am willing to pay for it!

I think the PXT's are going to be just fine until they wear out. But we'll see, it's very early and I haven't gotten into the deep yet. I must wait until I have the winch or a buddy to ride with. It would be suicide without either IMO.

Old 04-08-2005, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: xcrider
I have made a few 3 head light conversions. I first did it using diodes but had to rethink it. I am sure Polaris didn't size the headlight switch for the extra current that all three headlights would use. I have since redid it using a common automotive relay. That way the switch does not see all the current. I think the switch is over a $100 to replace.

Anyway I just uploaded my schematic (to my pictures) that should help you do it yourself. It will take a short time to be approved.
The switch that polaris uses for the worklight will cost you $60 from Polaris if you need to get replaced.....the real cost if you order from a distributor.....$7.10...its made by otto engineering...

Old 04-08-2005, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: KINGSCLEAR
Hey just wanted to say I was in and looked at your site awesome job man. Great site. I have the diode running my light conversion, should I change over to the realy and how does it wire up
Thanks! ... it's easy ... silverbullet2005 just posted all the info you should need ... but place a 12v relay were the dieod goes.

Old 04-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

I ran across these instructions one day so I copied and saved them because it's exactly how I've done the Sportsman's since the 02 700 came out. It's easy to do and works well.

You will need to purchase a standard 4 pin, 12v relay, 4 pieces of 16 gauge wire about 8" long, 4 female crimp on spade connectors (for connection of wires to relay), 4 wire splice connectors.(they are usually blue and you simply insert the wires and squeeze with pliers, then fold back the protective locking cover)

Open the pod and locate the wiring listed below

Relay terminal #30 connects to Polaris green wire (low beams)

Relay terminal #87 connects to Polaris red wire (10 amp protected circuit at the lighter plug)

Relay terminal #86 connects to Polaris wire yellow wire (high beam)

Relay terminal #85 connects to Polaris brown wire (ground)

Use dielectric grease or liquid tape at all electrical connections to prevent corrosion.

They way this functions, is that when you select high beam, you are powering up the relay to give 12v to the low beam circuit from Polaris's 10amp 12v protected circuit. (No fuse needed) Enjoy.

Quick Reply: Sportsman headlight mod