Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 700 Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 700 Overheating

Originally posted by: PocoRojo
Blocked radiator was one of the first things I checked. Is there a web site with some good "How To" instructions for things like thermostat replacement? Thanks.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
It is really easy, follow the hose from the radiator to the drivers side of the engine. Unbolt it, just be careful of the gasket, or be ready to make/buy a new one. I would put the thermostat in boiling water and see if it opens and then closes when cooled down. If the water is flowing in the radiator it will probably be okay, but I'd check it anyway. If that isn't it????
If that isn't it I'd put it all back together and fill with water/antifreeze, let it run, keep checking it to make sure you get all air out. After you are sure there isn't any air blockage I'd ride it but keep an eye on the temp. If you were low on coolant it could have an air blockage and cause this problem.

Old 03-21-2005, 10:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Oleman
No webpages I know of. However, you should be able to go here and look for your year and model and find cylinder and cylinder head to look at a diagram of the unit. It looks like a regular thermostat housing found on most automobile engines and should be connected to a hose going to the radiator.
Oleman,
Thanks for the link. I went back out and did some more troubleshooting. Started it up and waited until the "Hot" flasher came on. Shut it off and started checking temp's. The top of the radiator was warm, but not hot to the touch. The bottom of the radiator was cool. The temp sensor on the head was hot enough to close it's internal circuit. The theromstat housing was also plenty hot. I figured it had to be a coolant flow problem. Pulled enough hardware off to gain access to the water pump. Pulled the cover off and the Ny-Loc nut that should have been holding the impeller on the oil/water pump shaft fell out of the cover. The impeller is also wollered out where the oil/water pump shaft should have been driving it. I'm pretty sure this is root cause. I'll pick up a new impeller and let you know. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Thanks again.....

Old 03-21-2005, 11:41 PM
Range Rover

That sounds a little scary. At least you found the root before any damage was done. That's good trouble shooting on your part. Good luck on the repairs.