Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

SIDEWINDER SPROCKETS SUCK!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2000, 08:48 PM
try
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had mine about a month and the rear is startig to hook like a B#@$.now these are the best stainless steel ones they make!!they SUCK!!! After spending all most $350 with them their answer to me was to turn it around. AFTER ONLY A MONTH!!!THIS IS BULL!! It's not like i don't take care of my bike. I got a year out of the stock stuff. After ever ride wether it be 1 hour or 8 it get hosed down lubed ,oiled'adj,and a good look over for any thing eles. IE brakes,fluids,air filter,so on.The hole things a real pain and takes me about 2-3hours twice a week.But I ride hard and don't like braking down and it's never let me down. Has any body eles had this problem with these sprockets?

Old 09-21-2000, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

My experience with the (snakes @) "Sidewinder" Co. was similar. It seems we have travelled down the same path. Let me tell you of my experience with them.

At 2000 miles on my Xplorer 400 I phoned Sidewinder after researching their products on the internet and in magazines. I needed a chain and my sprockets were showing signs of hooking.

I ordered an O-ring chain, and two stainless steel sprockets. What I received in the mail was a non O-ring chain a stainless rear sprocket with the wrong teeth and a regular drive sprocket.

When I called them on the phone and reported the discrepancies I was told that their chain was better than an O-ring chain and to keep it. The sprocket they said would give me more pulling power and they said we never told you the drive sprocket was stainless.

Well... after two more calls I received the correct rear sprocket and an O-ring chain. Guess what? The second chain that they sent me was a regular Polaris Regina OEM chain. So they overcharged me $30 plus shipping for a chain which I could have purchased locally.

Upon closer inspection the drive sprocket was the same one as sold by ShadeTree or Dennis Kirk for twice the price.

Furthermore for the price of the Stainless drive sprocket I could have purchased 3 OEM Polaris sprockets.

Then, they sold me a master link which I did not need because a new one came with the chain.

Was I upset? Yes!
Did I get taken? Yes!
Why? Because I trusted them.

Will I trust or recommend "Sidewinder" to anyone else? Never!

The moral of the story is call Dennis Kirk or Shade Tree and save yourself a ton of money. You will be getting the same if not better products.

I did not find dealing with "Sidewinder" a credible experience.

Old 09-21-2000, 09:52 PM
try
Trailblazer

I feel for you man! I just wish somebody would have posted something like this befor i bougt mine. I can't beleave anybodys having good luck with this JUNK and if they are I would like to hear from them too.

Old 09-21-2000, 11:14 PM
TDC
Trailblazer

I installed the third "indestructable" Stainless Steel Sidewinder Sprocket on my Scr 500 H.O. about a month back. The first one was warped from the factory so bad the holes would'nt line up with the sprocket guard bolts. I called them and they had me send it back so their engineers could look at it. They sent me a new one in about a week and a half. When it got here it all the holes lined up so I put it on. About 40 miles later it was egg shaped so bad that at one point during its rotation it was rubbing the swing arm! I called them again but this time the best they could do was sell me another one at a discounted
price. So now I'm on #3 and after about 50 miles its starting to warp to. I guess they can't handle all that polaris power. Does anybody else make sprockets with tooth counts other than stock?

Old 09-21-2000, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

Check out the Dennis Kirk Catalog; some of the different year models used 34, 36, or 38 tooth sprockets. You could also change the front sprocket to actuate a gear ratio change.

Old 09-22-2000, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a rear sidewinder sprocket on my 1987 Quadzilla. I am on my 3rd chain and the sprocket still looks great. No points turning in any directions.