Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

best pipe for scrammy 400

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best pipe for scrammy 400

Hey Hillclimber. Have you had any other pipe other than the FTR or is that the only pipe you've had? I was thinking of getting the CPI pipe and sell my HPD trail pipe to reduce leg heat and maybe get race porting in the future and I was wanting someone that has a setup like ours that has tried both pipes (HPD trail vs. CPI). I think I've told you before but I'll say it again. You have some really nice bikes!

Old 11-22-2004, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hillclimber how about the piston, are you still running the stocker? I like the look of the CPI pipe. does it have good power through most of the rev range or is it a real top end pipe?

Old 11-23-2004, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I emailed CPI regarding clutching for there pipe and what was needed etc and got this response I figured I would share. I removed my personal info,the comets portion is what I wrote. I think I may go this route and see if rittercycles has any secondary clutch suggestions to get everybit of power out of the pipe.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 6:42 PM
To:
Subject: Re: Support Question

> Comments:

I am
> interested in getting your scrambler pipe for a 2002 polaris scrambler
> 4wheeler. I wonder however do you provide jets with the pipe? If not is
> rejetting neccasary? Also I would like to know what needs to be done to
> the primary and secondary clutch to work best with this pipe? thanks
> all and any info is appreciated. Submit:Submit

Custom Pipes, Inc.
3908 W. Willow Creek Rd.
Mountain Green, UT 84050
Phone 801-829-5877
Fax 801-829-3023
sales@cpiracing.com

I usually install a dk blue sled spring in the drive clutch. I remove the
airbox to p and install a main jet 3 sizes larger than stock. THe
secondary clutch worksgood the way it is .

Old 11-23-2004, 09:02 PM
Range Rover

I had first tried a FMF gnarley that performed very good. In fact I took it to the dry lake bed one day and running 100 yd dashes the FMF and the FTR were almost identical. This was using the same jetting on each which I believe was a 270. The only thing I had done at that time was I removed the stock air box and had a clamp on K&N with the 270 jet. Losing the leg heat made me stay with the FTR Pipe at that time. I then sold the FMF and never got a chance to try it with the mods. Thanks for the compliment Dunalcholic. You have some nice bikes yourself. Let me know if you ever make a trip out this way.

Old 11-24-2004, 02:48 AM
Pro Rider

Hillclimber. Do you ever go to Little Sahara in Utah? We were thinking of going this summer but didn't know how hot it would be. I know that the elevation is higher and might be a little cooler during summer months. Not sure how far that is from you without looking at a map. What dunes do you usually ride at? I think I'm gonna get the CPI after Christmas then maybe get the correct port timing for that pipe later on. How does yours do against other quads as far as racing up hills and on flats? Thanks.

Old 11-25-2004, 12:43 AM
Range Rover

Dunealoholic, we uaually ride at Dumont Dunes about 2hrs southwest of Vegas, sometimes at Armagosa Dunes about 2 hrs north of Vegas. We go to Glamis usually Thanksgiving and Easter which is a 5 hr drive for us, and once in a while to Coral Pink in Southern Utah about a 4 hr drive for us.
Going up the hill I have about 10 lengths on my daugthers 400ex, she jsut has a pipe & filter. I beat my son-in-laws 440ex about 6 lengths, If I don't see a swing arm on a banshee I can usually take them if they only have pipes on. Raptors and DS650's are no problem if they are piped and jetted. This year thought there are getting to be a lot of Raptors with a lot more done so they beat me some and I beat them some. My bike can quickly make up about 3 bike lengths if I lose about 50 lbs by putting my dauther on. Most of the 450r's and the 450 Yamahas that I have run across have pipes already and I do not know what else, but to beat them I have to let my daughter take it up the hill and she is in the pack with them all the time

Old 11-25-2004, 09:03 AM
Pro Rider

hillclimber,the ftr pipe is a race pipe that rev higher than a standard trail setup,you wouln't never get max power on a trail mods combo,,,
switch to a trail pipe with a little clutch changes and you're gone for
a better working combo.

Old 11-25-2004, 11:23 AM
Range Rover

Scramblered, you know ever since I bought the pipe people have told me that. The reason I bought the pipe in the first place was to get rid of the leg heat. Butr like I said when I first put it on without the other mods it had the low end grunt also just like the gnarley pipe from FMF which is what it is made for. For some reason it is working for me. I had originally bought 2 of them and put one on my wifes bike which would outrun my bike stock for stock. I took it off hers because it was bringing the front-end off the ground when she wasn't expecting it and she told me not to touch her bike. The guy I sold the FMF and the FTR could not get his bike to run no matter how many jetting changes he made. He & his son-in-laws 400s were both stock, the FMF worked great on his son-in-laws but I think he ended up selling the FTR. He siad it ran better with the stock pipe on. I run right at 7200 rpms up the hill. going to race porting what should the rpm be. Maybe Rick took a little more off when he trail ported it I had a guy here in Vegas Trail port it, not much difference, sent it back to Rick and it was really hogged out compared to the Vegas guy. No one out here knopws Polaris engins though

Old 11-25-2004, 11:25 AM
Range Rover

Besides I want to get a new Troy Lee to ride and race port and lighten the 400 just for dragging

Old 11-25-2004, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

I've talked to another guy that has basically the same setup as you and he said that he has great bottom end and loves the pipe. I think that you can get by with running this pipe if you have trail port but think you might have more trouble if you just have a stock motor with stock compression. Thanks for the info Hillclimber.