Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

TrailBoss 330: How Many Gears?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TrailBoss 330: How Many Gears?

if this tranny was so bad then it wouldnt still be used on snowmobiles since the 50s. polaris is not the only ATV compary to use this tranny either. so save your complaints and anti-polaris talk for somewheres else, we dont want to hear it

Old 11-08-2004, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a good start on your CVT training. From GM an explanation of their VTi transmission. Which is mouse wheel tranny.

Old 11-08-2004, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

For the Record. I am not Anti-Polaris in any way. I am more so Anti-TrailBoss 330. I'm just not real happy with this model, especially with all the other choices out there in this price range, but *Shrug*.

Though after thinking about it for a little bit, Even using "pullies" the "pullies" are doing the same as Gears. Different size pullies give you a different gear ratio. So its the same thing, sept prehaps smoother because its a constant drive, no slipping inbetween gears.

Though i am interested to know, the GM article posted by fishslab says "seamless acceleration over an infinite number of gear ratios" Which is interesting how that would be possible!? If you are switching pullies, then to have an 'infinite number of gear ratios' you'd have to have an infinite number of pullies wouldn't you?

Unless i am just not understanding the entire concept!?

Very Interesting...

I think i will stick with my Manual 5-speed, or Autocluctches w/ 5-speed. It definitly makes a different when you need to lay the power to the wheels and you are able to get the gear you need, instead of mashing on the throttle and absolutly no dramatic change in speed or torque that we get on this 'pully' style transmission..

Old 11-08-2004, 01:03 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: ThaChad
For the Record. I am not Anti-Polaris in any way. I am more so Anti-TrailBoss 330. I'm just not real happy with this model, especially with all the other choices out there in this price range, but *Shrug*.

you were doing a lot of 'shrugging' when you didnt understand the nerf bar thread also

if you dont understand something,,,,dont pretent that you do

you have 2 ears and one mouth,,,,,use them accordingly,,,,,,,or else you will be shrugging all the way thru life

CVT trannies are really simple/effective for all types of applications

Old 11-08-2004, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bing

you were doing a lot of 'shrugging' when you didnt understand the nerf bar thread also

if you dont understand something,,,,dont pretent that you do

you have 2 ears and one mouth,,,,,use them accordingly,,,,,,,or else you will be shrugging all the way thru life

CVT trannies are really simple/effective for all types of applications

First this is another post, So please keep fights out. Trying to bring in a fight that has nothing to do with this post, is childish. A *Shrug* is an expression. In the Other post, Since you brought it up, i said in the FIRST post that i did not know about the speciffic brand, but everything that i said was documented fact by the manufacturers, and as i said in the other post, If you don't like the DOCUMENTED facts by the MANUFACTURER, take it up with them. But comming into another post and trying to start a fight, you should be banned. No one needs you to waste valuable bandwidth and storage space trying to drag fights from one place to another, if you have nothing Inteligent to input, don't input.

Your telling me "you have 2 ears and one mouth, use them accordingly". Prehaps you should take your own advice, and use your mouth a little less, unless you have something inteligent to put out.

I will be the first to stand corrected if i am wrong. And as i said in the post above, the pullie idea is the same as gears, so i was not incorrect to say "How many gears" but a few people jumped my a$$ for it, when the pullies are basically the same thing as gears, changing the gear ratio with different size pullies.. Too many people going aroung thinking they know everything, and that everyone else is a lesser person. Forums are a great place to spread knowledge, but the problem is there is too many people being jerks about stupid things. But i got $20 that says all the people that act like that on a forum and think they are big and bad, in real life don't have the ***** to talk that much sh*t to anyone's face.

Really. Grow up. If you have knowledge to share, By all means, everyone would love to hear it, But if you have nothing but trash to bring around, then keep it to your self. I asked a question, and threw the post's i became a better understanding of this transmission. But my question of how many gear's wasn't far off. All it would have taken was 1 answer for someone to say "Actually the PVT's don't use gears, they use pullies, and it has 2 pullies" That would have answered my question, and this post would have been over.

Anyway, Thanks to the people that are more mature and answered with HELPFULL information, and for the understanding that not everyone in the world is an expert.

I don't want to 'fight' with anyone, I am an easy going person. But there is no need to jump my Sh*t just because i don't know everything about everything. Prehaps i have only been into ATV's for a couple of months, so i don't know everything about them, but i have learned ALOT about them! But i guarentee there are alot of things i probably know more about then alot of people here, but if the subjects ever came up, i wouldn't make people feel bad about not knowing the answers.

-ThaChad

Old 11-08-2004, 03:10 PM
Super Quad Patrol

chad, sorry to set you off

Old 11-08-2004, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for some reason i dont think Bing will get banned, after all, he is "Quad Patrol" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 11-08-2004, 03:27 PM
Super Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: DGScrambler400
for some reason i dont think Bing will get banned, after all, he is "Quad Patrol" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
I dont think any of the other mods would blink twice at booting me out of here for a little while

I do come off the wrong way sometimes,,,,and I will acknowledge it.

It just gets to me when people post a thread because they need help understanding how something operates. Then people who do understand the topic try and help,,,,and they get shot down,,,by the person that was asking for help in the 1st place.

anyhow,,,,as the engine rpms increase,,,,the 'v' shaped sheaves begin to squeeze the 'v' shaped belt causing the drive pulley to rotate

and as the rpms rise further it forces the belt to a higher (larger) portion of the sheaves to effectively highten the gear ratio

Old 11-08-2004, 03:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I dont think you quite understand how a CVT (pully style) transmission works Chad. It DOES provide seemless acceleration and an infanite number of "gear ratios". You have one clutch (pully) connected to the crankshaft that turns withthe engine RPM. And the other clutch (pully) connected to the input shaft of the transmission (gearbox). And you have a belt that connects the 2. As you increase engine RPM, there are weights in the primary clutch that overcome the spring pressure from the primary spring and force the moveable sheeve of the clutch in, causing the belt to be forced up the clutch. And the belt is forced up the primary clutch, it is therefore forced down on the secondary clutch. The belt will overcome the spring pressure on the secondary clutch. This is what gives you the infanite gear ratios. That is also what it is called a CONSTANT VARIABLE TRANSMISSION. The gear ratios are contantly changing depending on the postion of the belt. This is all tuneable to riding style and engine power by changing springs, weights, and helixs. The purpose of this type of transmission is to try and keep the engine RPM in its powerband.

Old 11-08-2004, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bing<br
I dont think any of the other mods would blink twice at booting me out of here for a little while

I do come off the wrong way sometimes,,,,and I will acknowledge it.

It just gets to me when people post a thread because they need help understanding how something operates. Then people who do understand the topic try and help,,,,and they get shot down,,,by the person that was asking for help in the 1st place.

anyhow,,,,as the engine rpms increase,,,,the 'v' shaped sheaves begin to squeeze the 'v' shaped belt causing the drive pulley to rotate

and as the rpms rise further it forces the belt to a higher (larger) portion of the sheaves to effectively highten the gear ratio[/quote]

Bing: I don't want to make any waves, I have read many posts that you've posted and you are quite helpfull. For the record, i didn't shoot down anyone's help. Everything got set off when the first post "It's a auto, so it has no gears" and "Duh" Neither of those are helpfull, and neither of them were correct information. At that time i was going by the information i knew about Automatic and manual transmissions, this pully technology is new to me, but i don't speciffically follow transmission technologies. Since those 2 posts, others have given me more information to help understand the PVT transmission, and i to my knowledge have not shot down the information i have been given, but asked some more questions to try and understand it a little better..

I do hope that i did not come off in a manor that would offend anyone. As i said Forums are a great source of information, and i just like to try and keep any fights out, because there is no need for anyone to fight.

Anyway, thanks for your explination. I understand it a little more now... Though from what i understand, i still think a automatic transmission with gears would make more since for ATV's being that there are many times when you need to lay the power to the tires, and with this PVT it just doesn't seam like that is going to happen. Atleast not with the TrailBoss 330.. I just don't like not being able to get the power to the ground when i need/want it. As i do with my Z400. Prehaps that's why i have a Z400, and the wife has a TrailBoss 330.

-ThaChad

Quick Reply: TrailBoss 330: How Many Gears?