Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Had some fun at the Polaris dealer

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 06:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had some fun at the Polaris dealer

Any time you do internal mods I would say that's more than slightly. Top end on a 400L? That's the reason I sold mine too. 0-200ft they are fast but fall off so quick after that. They are good for short drags because the holeshot is so good on a tuned clutch. You cannot out-shift one.

The thing with a salesman though is you shouldn't lie. I mean how many Yamaha salesmen were selling Raptors by telling people it was the baddest quad ever, when it truely wasn't. Even Yamaha owns ads suggested it. You gotta be truthful no matter what. That's why I always go car shopping with such an attitude. 99% of these kinds of guys are weasels.

Old 06-28-2004, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

a 400L loses it after 200ft? trust me u can make some really fast sports if u know how to do it that will win against almost anything in a 300ft drag.

Old 06-28-2004, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

Yes you can get a 400L to continue to pull hard past 300ft. The problem is you get far into the motor & wallet to do it. Not to mention all the weight hacking of the quad itself. Plus you still have a horrible pkg overall. If Polaris had the foresight to put that 400L in a 400EX type frame they would have had a winner.
They are fast in a straight drag, there is no doubt. I always talk up that Polaris motor. The problem is that's almost all they are good for once you mod it that much. Kinda like the sand drag Banshees. Super fast, but 1 dimensional. OK, for guys that only ride dunes or only drag race. I just got to the point that to make my 400L compete with the new quads ( DS & Raptor) it wasn't worth the money & time when I could buy one that was way faster & better handling. I had about the same money in a trade-in as I would have for Polaris mods. Plus I got a newer better quad. To each his own, but Polaris missed the mark by putting a great motor in a heavy ill handling frame.

Old 06-28-2004, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

the frame is strong though...I dont really get what u are saying because i know that most people when they build drag quads such as banshees they always put a lighter drag frame on them and they are not near as strong as the stock sport frame and the sport can still keep up.

Old 06-28-2004, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider

I've never seen a Sport keep up with a modded Banshee on sand. Dirt & sand are two different animals.
Think how fast a dirt drag Polaris would be in a nice frame. Oh the potential....

Old 06-28-2004, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

I have seen one beat lots of modded banshees and some trex and yes a drag frame might help but i like the stock frame because it wont brake...all u have to do to the stock frame is shave some parts off and that will help with the weight some.

Old 06-29-2004, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: WileyCoyote
These folks are in the business of separating you and your money, and no matter what dealership you go to (Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, etc.), you'll get the same exagerated line. Since I regard salespeople in the same ranks as lawyers and other social demons, I've resorted to doing all negotiating via internet or telephone. This eliminates all lot of the BS. Then, when the deal is made, I just drive down, write the check, and come home.
And yet, people like you are the first to bitch when you get poor service. Gee, I wonder why.. Knowledgeable, competent people that used to be able to make a living are now forced to run on such a tight margin to compete against the internet that they can't survive. A perfect example would be hardware stores. Home Depot puts the small guy out of business, and try asking a question in there. They will send you to a different department just to get rid of you. Personally, I am a manager at a car dealership, and we don't do prices over the phone. And before you start crying, I invite you to run your business at the kind of margins that you expect atv/car dealerships to. Oh, by the way, our csi(customer satisfaction index) is 98% and we are a 5 star dealer, so we must be doing something right. Also, in the top 5 in our zone for volume. However, I bought a set of a arms and shocks from The Quad Shop(Internet/phone sale). I wrote down exactly what Jeff told me he was ordering for me. Lo and behold, when the shocks(elka quad rate)came, they were not the elite line I was promised. All of a sudden, Jeff wanted nothing to do with me. Marty told me I was wrong, and had placed the order with him. However, I know I spoke to Jeff, because I bought a lsr axle from him 3 weeks before. When I called Elka, the rep I talked to on the phone told me that Jeff had originally ordered the elites, but the wait was too long. No refund of the extra money, nor an offer to get the right shocks. Learned me a $2200 lesson that day. Have fun shopping on the internet/phone. Hope you learn the same way I did.

PS.. Marty, so far you've lost another 2500 in business from me.

Old 06-29-2004, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

Good & Bad is everywhere. I deal with HMF a few times over the internet & phone. Those guys are the best. Ronnies & Rocky Mountain are good too.

These car dealers in this area live in alot bigger houses than I do, so I'm sure the profit margin is quite good. 99% of car dealers need beat anyway. Weasels at the top of their game. I always go in looking for an argument. That way I don't get reamed. It's all about the right car, at the right time with the right salesman. It's no wonder I always look for months. Takes that long to sort through the liars.

I don't know about your Home Depot but our local Lowes is lame. Menards is where it's at
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-29-2004, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

Oh, I'm not saying I'm anywhere near broke. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] However, I also don't take internet/phone sales. I really don't see a point in selling a $30,000 investment for a $200 profit. Again, I invite anyone to run their business on that margin. But I don't have to be a weasel for my money. Just work 70-80 hrs a week, treat my customers like kings and queens, and make sure throughout their ownership of their car that everything is 100%. An example of this would be a customer that bought a used car and hit a pothole. She popped her tire, and wasn't comfortable changing it herself. I had a tow truck meet me at her car, and while I drove her to work, her car went to my shop and got a new tire. When she got off work, I picked her up and brought her back to work. Most of my customers have been referrals, and now that I'm a sales manager, I make sure that the salesman takes care of them like I do. Once again, you get what you pay for. And I do agree about bad dealers. But something to think about with cars. These guys negotiate a car deal 5 times a day. You do it once every 5 years. Do you really think that buying an internet packet is going to be all you need? It's like a high school football team going up against the pros.

Old 06-29-2004, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

internet packet?

Maybe you are different but most of the dealers I've talked with know less than I do about cars. It's crazy! That's their line of work.
I just feel like trying to sell cars to put food on the table is a way that almost turns people into weasels.

Quick Reply: Had some fun at the Polaris dealer