Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2001 Scrambler 90cc NO BETTER THAN IDLE

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 09:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Scrambler 90cc NO BETTER THAN IDLE

I have a 2001 Polaris Scrambler 90cc and have had several problems with getting is started and getting it to do more than idle. In some cases when I can get it to accelerate it then stalls. When talking to the local dealership, who is no help at all, I noticed the (Plunger, Starter) has been replaced on the carburetor by a manual choke on the 2003-2004 models. Is there a problem with that part? The dealership wanted almost $200 for PN 0450110. Can I install the new manual choke instead? What would happen with the wiring harness connection to the electric (Plunger, Starter)? I am at a loss.

Old 05-18-2004, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

Check the compression first. May just need to be rebuilt. They act that way when compression drops. If it's 110 psi or better we'll go from there.

Old 05-30-2004, 11:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you Fishslab for your input.
The Scrambler is barely used, but, I had the mechanic check the compression. It is good.
I got an e-mail from PARTSLAND.COM. Based on my comments they contacted Polaris and found that there is a kit for the manual choke conversion on the 2001 Scrambler 90cc. Polaris recognizes that there has always been a problem. Hopefully, when the kit arrives it will solve the problem. I will keep this forum posted.

MadMax01
MadMax01 E-Mail Address

Old 05-30-2004, 01:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I dont think the choke is going to help much.
Check for a restriction in the exhaust, it tends to plug up with carbon, and that will stop the motor from reving. Check the gas for a restriction also, tank vent,plugged filter, kinked hose, low gas level in tank.
Try starting it with the exhaust pipe, disconnected. If it runs good then, youll need to clean it out.

Old 11-15-2004, 01:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mad Max do you have a part# for that manual choke? And did you get it from Polaris or Partsland?

Old 11-15-2004, 05:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Kirb and anyone else reading this thead,

The problem did not turn out to be the choke, exhaust or rings. The carb had metal shavings in it and the coil was weak under a load. The combination of the two made it hard to diagnose. The mechanic finally started changing out parts from a new one to find the problem. As far as the manual choke, it's junk. The mechanic told me to just put my thumb over the breather tube when I need to choke it. That works great. If you have the same symptoms as I did, I recommend checking for those two things. Take the carb completely appart and blow it with compressed air if required.

MadMax01

Old 08-25-2006, 07:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

The Quad ran better for a little while with the Carb cleaned out and the new coil, but, it's back to the same issue. How do I clean out the exhaust?

Old 08-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Gentlemen,
After (5) years of trying to get this thing running right, I have the answer. This is very important to every old school rider. The latest electronic ignition requires a GOOD battery. Forget what you know about the past and magneto ignition. What disgusts me the most is the number of dealerships I took this Quad to that never even mentioned the battery as the possible issue. I have a friend who ran into the same problem with his Harley Davison $30,000 motorcycle. He was disgusted in the same way after taking it to several dealerships. The last one finally suggested he had a bad cell in his battery and $1,000 later his motocycle was running like a champ. That was one expensive battery! So after hearing his story I tried a new battery in my Quad. RUNS LIKE A CHAMP. Polaris dealers you SUCK!!

Old 08-17-2008, 11:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

MadMax01,

Glad to hear the quad is running good now, but i have had a crappy battery and good battery's in the quad and the quad still ran the same. Let us know if it continues to run well, I am not doubting you but just trying to figure out why mine runs good with a new and old batteries.

Kirb

Old 04-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by MadMax01
I have a 2001 Polaris Scrambler 90cc and have had several problems with getting is started and getting it to do more than idle. In some cases when I can get it to accelerate it then stalls. When talking to the local dealership, who is no help at all, I noticed the (Plunger, Starter) has been replaced on the carburetor by a manual choke on the 2003-2004 models. Is there a problem with that part? The dealership wanted almost $200 for PN 0450110. Can I install the new manual choke instead? What would happen with the wiring harness connection to the electric (Plunger, Starter)? I am at a loss.
I have been trying to resolve this same issue and have gone through all of the above and below aforementioned items without any luck. But recently had a friend suggest a simple diagnostic trick that solved the problem. When this happens the gas cap off, place mouth over the tank and blow into the tank and see if this resolves the problem... and it did. I bought this sportsman used and I believe the fuel lines are colappsing. Either way this resloves the p[roblem until it's time to pt fuel into it again or the fuel gets low again

Quick Reply: 2001 Scrambler 90cc NO BETTER THAN IDLE