Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Bad CV joint NEED HELP

Old 05-02-2004, 07:18 PM
Jwb
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad CV joint NEED HELP

· Well somethings are bound to break and it’s just my luck that the cv boot has a small slit in it and has thrown grease everwere. Anway has anyone replaced one of these before? What is all involved? Also I must have run the bad boot for 10 miles are so I hope that didn’t hert the joint?? THANKS

Old 05-02-2004, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have replaced my boots several times. The first time i rode in dirt for like 1 1/2 weeks with totally ripped boots, didnt hurt anything. They should be fine.

Old 05-02-2004, 08:28 PM
Jwb
Range Rover

THANKS DG anyone know how hard and what is involved in changing them THANKS AGAIN

Old 05-02-2004, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

I dont know whats involved,
But a farmer down the road has a honda fourtrax 300 4x4 with no CV boots...and he hasnt had them for a while, like 4 years or so. Joints are rusty and everything.

Old 05-02-2004, 09:32 PM
Trailblazer

If you are not going to use the service manual, I would try to elicit some advice from local dealer parts and service people. Having said that, my local dealer employees are about as helpful as mammary glands on a boy hog, so I would use it as a good excuse to buy the manual.

Old 05-02-2004, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what i did was break down the Universal joint on the front. I than slid the boot over and into place. I filled to boot with just regular high grade grease. It took my a LONG time to get the clamp clamped, but i finally got it with snap-ring pliers. Its been a while since i did it, so i cant really remember details off the top of my head. It this way doesnt work, come back and we'll help you some more! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-03-2004, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

The advise of getting a service manual is pretty sound - the pictures and steps are pretty well outlined.

Which CV did you tear the boot on? It makes a difference whether it is a front or a rear in the steps you are going to have to take. You will also need to clean out all the old dirty grease from inside the CV before you put the new boot on.

Old 05-03-2004, 10:50 AM
Jwb
Range Rover

It tore on the front I have a 99 scramy 400

Old 05-03-2004, 06:00 PM
Range Rover

Get the manual then take it apart and put it back together exactly as it came apart.

Old 05-03-2004, 07:10 PM
Trailblazer

give this a try if you like.
1. take off your wheel, caliper and hub
2. take out the cotter key, remove castle nut and take apart ball joint below the a arm
3. slide off the strut and keep it out of the way, watch for the four wheel drive wires.
4.Take off the clamps on your rubber boot.
5.move the boot out of the way and wack the cv joint straight out, it will come off there is a spring clip in there.
6.If you clean the cv joint you need 30 g of grease in the joint and another 30 g in the boot. If you dont clean the joint you only need 30grams. dont over grease.
7. Put everything back together the way it came apart. they make special pliers for the snap rings but i was able to do it with needle nose pliers.

Good luck! by the way this is for a scrambler, hope its the same on the tb.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad CV joint NEED HELP