Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator 500 no spark

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 06:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator 500 no spark

Last October I lost the battery of my 2003 Predator 500. Strap broke I guess... It ripped off a red wire which I fixed, and put on a new battery as the old one broke the pole off. Anyway, can't get it to start anymore. Turns over fine but no spark...
What's the piece in this picture?

Also has this bag like thing, what does that do? I have current in and out of the bag so must work .

I guess it has an aftermarket ignition on it that can be set for various power curves? It was on stock, and has a ton of power allready

my neutral light does not light up at the moment. It did before... Can that prevent from starting? Wouldn't it keep it from turning over too? The white wire that goes into the coil ( that leads to the spark plug wire) does not have current when the engine turns over, how many Volts should there be on that or is it in shots like the spark itself? Many questions i know, can't seem to figure it out...

Regards Dennis

Old 04-01-2018, 07:56 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Regulator/rectifier in the first pic. The bag has a 20 amp circuit breaker,another 10 amp breaker is at the front of the machine for the fan. Check for power on both sides of the red wire in the pouch. If it doesn't go through,slice the pouch open and replace the breaker. You can get these at any auto supply. People have posted about problems on after market ignitions on the Predator. The manual has the specs you need on the stator and other trouble shooting guides and steps in tracking down the no spark condition.2003 Polaris Predator 500 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 04-02-2018, 03:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isolated the black wire from the kill circuit. No spark. Have good power and ground to CDI.
Measured resistance between ground and trigger coil. Has 120 Ohms, book says must be 190?

there was a little oil in the housing, is that normal? I assume for the starter gears etc?

Old 04-02-2018, 03:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Usually 10-15% +/- allowed on resistance specs. Your reading shows beyond that. Check if the manual shows any vdc reading from the pick up to the cdi. If you are fairly confident on the pick up coil readings,pick up coils are out there for 18 bucks or so.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bronco-Igni...daNAqT&vxp=mtr Normal to have a little oil in the housing.Hopefully that solves the problem and it's not that after market cdi.