Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Shredded belt on trail replaced with OEM now creeping

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 11:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shredded belt on trail replaced with OEM now creeping

Hello, I have searched the forums and there is some information on this subject but not specific to what is happening to me... please help.

2002 Polaris Sportsman 700 twin.
While riding last weekend the belt shredded on the trail, previous to this the belt was slipping but I did not realize this until I installed the new OEM Polaris belt... part # 3211091. After installing the new belt, the bike will not shift into gear with it running, you can start it in high gear but be ready to take off... before replacing this belt, the rear end will feel like it was ratcheting.. if that makes any sense (hence the slipping I guess).
I really just need to know where to start, we were not having any problems putting it in gear or changing gears before the new OEM pure Polaris belt change. Do I need to pull off the primary clutch and check for a worn or broken something? Or will it wear in after a few miles... it doesn't just creep...it pretty much takes of at a dead run...actually drives much better and smoother. My problem is understanding what everyone is talking about because I am not at all familiar with the clutch and the mechanisms.

Thanks experts...

Old 08-20-2014, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Easiest thing to check is how many RPM's the engine is turning. If it's too high it will be difficult to shift into gear and. when you get it into gear, it will cause the quad to move. Check your owner's manual for the proper RPM and let the quad warm up to operating temperature. It it's high the idle needs to be adjusted down.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:11 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Did you clean it out good some belts go and its a chore to get the old belt strands/cords out from behind the clutches when they tangle.

Here is a good video on it.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks, I did not take the clutches off of the bike... that's a little scary for me, I did not notice any shredded stuff behind or inside anywhere... I will do that this evening, I did idle it down as low as I could to keep it running in neutral... no tach so I can't tell the actual RPM's. I will take some video tonight and post it tomorrow.. thanks for the help so far.. we have a big, huge benefit ride coming up on the 6th of Sept and this is my Husband's bike (yes I do all the mechanic work).... and I don't want him to have to ride with me :}

Old 08-20-2014, 03:39 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

You might be able to just take a peek with a flash light for any tangled cords rather then take the clutches off.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:40 PM
Trailblazer

You should take off the clutch cover and watch what's happening. At idle , your clutch belt shouldn't be moving. If it is , it will make it hard to shift gears because the transmission gears are turning.
Look at where the belt sits on the primary clutch pulley. It's probably to one side and touching the clutch sheave making it turn. You need to center it.
Maybe the primary clutch isn't retracting all the way out either. There must be some room on either side of the clutch belt when it's sitting on the primary clutch pulley. Check to see if your main spring is broken. This is also what happens when you get belt strands and crud in there. You should blow out the primary clutch with compressed air every time you have the clutch cover off and or when changing the belt. There is usually ALOT of dust in there.
A video or picture would help...... good luck.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have taken the belt off and there is a string wrapped around the inside of the front clutch and toward the inside of the bike..took the face and spring off but can't get to the ridged thing in the center to get the string out
I have video and pics but cant upload from the phone. Anyway to get the clutch off without a puller?

Last edited by TOSHA; 08-20-2014 at 08:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-21-2014, 05:18 PM
Trailblazer

No.....you need a puller. I don't recommend using a bolt with a "spacer" and tapping on the clutch. Bad things could happen. Buy the proper puller ( check ebay) or get a piece of 3/4" fine threaded rod and cut it at 9". Weld a nut on one end and you're good to go.
Sounds like you still have some belt residue in your primary clutch. It has to come out if you want it to work properly. Too bad you can't get a pic or video of it on here. Either way, it has to be clean to work right.

The pics are my primary clutch puller and my secondary spring compressor.....

Attached Thumbnails Shredded belt on trail replaced with OEM now creeping-spring-compressor-puller.jpg  
Old 08-21-2014, 09:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

i know, I will try and post them to an online album. Is there a way to take the clutch apart while still on the bike, I took the top and the spring off but did not investigate further, My mother had a fall and we are in the hospital tonight... watching youtube and chatting with ya'll to try and figure this thing out. the pieces of belt look like they are between the back side of the clutch and the one way clutch.. the front side looks good. for a while i thought i might have the incorrect belt size but have checked and double checked and it is also the size of the spare that we carry around as a spare. the driven clutch looks fine, nothing wrapped around it at all. I did have it on my list today to pick up a puller but called the local dealership and they priced it at $42 freaking dollars.. doesn't look like we'll be riding this weekend anyway...Mom comes first! can I post the pics to my facebook page and then post a link to them??

Old 08-22-2014, 12:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If you can't get the belt strands out between the clutch sheath and the one way bearing,it takes a spider tool to separate the clutches. They are fairly cheap on ebay along with Polaris clutch pullers,plus once you have it apart,best to replace the two washers on either side of the one way bearing. The fiber washer behind the one way and the metal one in front that sits under the "cup" This is the parts breakdown on your clutch. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
Plus here's a video that shows how to do this,but small difference in your one way bearing and the one shown in the video.

Quick Reply: Shredded belt on trail replaced with OEM now creeping