Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2002 500 Sportsman belt alignment

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 09:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 500 Sportsman belt alignment

Went for a ride tonight, when I got back I noticed it was getting hard to shift. The Atv has been creeping in gear, I pulled the side case and the secondary is spinning at idle. It was very clean inside.

The belt is riding on the inside of the primary clutch. When I pull up on the belt it loosens. I can then start it and the secondary does not spin. After revving the engine a few times the primary pushes the belt to the inside where it makes contact and begins to spin the secondary.

Does the secondary need to be shimmed out? The belt is a Polaris brand.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Old 06-16-2014, 08:09 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Usually a belt change if worn along with shimming out the rear clutch can fix the problem. Had more problems on the 01 and 02 models than any others. Make sure the front clutch one way doesn't have too much play side to side. Feeler gauge inserted between the one way and inner sheath should be around .020 or so or the belt can "walk" to the inside touching the inner sheath. This causes the creeping. Just get a few washers at any hardware store that match the one behind the driven clutch. May only take a couple,possibly three along with a new belt if it has any glazed/burnt spots on it. Oem Polaris belts only or you may still have problems. Item #2 on the breakdown. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
If this doesn't fix the problem you may have to replace the fiber and metal washer on each side of the one way bearing. Items #2 and 18.http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...2002&fveh=5582

Old 06-16-2014, 01:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, I took off the driven clutch. Slid right off. I found two shims behind it. Called Polaris dealer, they have more shims 99 cents per. Book says to torque bolt holding on the driven too 17 ft lbs. Does not seem enough, is that correct?

Thanks Again
Mike

Old 06-16-2014, 02:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Correct on the 17 pounds torque on the driven clutch. It's only a 1/2" bolt and the clutch just slides on,not tapered like the drive clutch. Just see if the belt rides center. If not you may need more than two washers to align the clutches. Plus check how much side to side play you have on the one way bearing. If it's over .020-.030 you may need to replace the one way washers to keep the belt from "walking" over and touching the inner sheath. I've had to do all of this on some machines: replace the one way washers,new belt and also shim out rear clutches.You may or may not have to do it all.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:33 PM
Trailblazer

This thread sounds familiar! haha!
To the thread starter, I'm having the "exact" same problem with my 01 sportsman and OPT is helping me as well. Check out the thread if you think it might help under the polaris section "Clutch belt creeping" .
If you haven't rebuilt your clutch in a while , you may have to now....good luck.

Kevin

Old 06-16-2014, 05:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Kevcules
This thread sounds familiar! haha!
To the thread starter, I'm having the "exact" same problem with my 01 sportsman and OPT is helping me as well. Check out the thread if you think it might help under the polaris section "Clutch belt creeping" .
If you haven't rebuilt your clutch in a while , you may have to now....good luck.

Kevin
Yeah.. Plus the heads up to poster S10V84Speed on the shims.. Been giving the wrong shim replacement part# for the brass one on the one way bearing if it's worn down. Part#7556401 or just match the brass one up with a metal washer with the same dimensions at your local hardware store. Sorry to both you guys..

Attached Thumbnails 2002 500 Sportsman belt alignment-kgrhqzhjcqfcu6uhr7kbqttu5m-k-60_57.jpg  
Old 06-16-2014, 06:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks again OPT I will post will the results. Kevcules let me know how yours works out.

Mike

Old 06-16-2014, 07:41 PM
Trailblazer

Will do !

OPT....you're a mountain of knowledge and great advice....no need to ever say sorry!

Kevin

Old 06-17-2014, 07:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I got my washers from the Polaris dealer today. I installed 3 new ones under the driven pulley. Started it up and revved it a few times, still wanted to walk in gear just a little. Belt was still being pushed to the inside of the clutch itself.

I then put on another washer under the driven pulley to see what it would do. I know you said a maximum of 3 but I had to see. Started the engine, belt was dead center. Real easy to get in and out of gear and did not get pushed over to the inside of the clutch pulley.

Took it for a ride, as soon as I started out of the garage I heard a pop. Everytime I stopped and started it popped, never had done that before. Pretty sure the clutch was pushing the belt inward with more force and hitting the inboard pulley. So off comes the 4th washer.

I knew I had some more clearance the I needed between the EBS pulley and the brass washer. A loose .035. So now it looks like I need to dig into the clutch itself. I will have to read up on that.

More to come, I will fix this

Mike

Old 06-17-2014, 08:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If it doesn't work with 3 washers then usually the one way fiber washer and brass washer need to be replaced.Manual call for the spider tool. A good impact can spin it loose if you can hold the bottom part of the clutch. If not a clutch base holder may be needed.Plus it torques down to 200 foot pounds or supposed to..Many techs just impacted em back on tight with the spider tool.Many now are on ebay,cheaper than the Polaris spider tool.Polaris Spider Clutch Removal Tool 93 10 Sportsman 300 335 350 400 400L 500 Le L | eBay

Quick Reply: 2002 500 Sportsman belt alignment