Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 09:40 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice

I know the TBAP wiring harness has been beat to death and I did read the sticky about it but I just wanted to get an opinion on mine before I spend the $40 for a new harness. Its a '05 Sportsman 700 efi. It will run fine for awhile and then it will run like crap, it will lug and sputter when you give it gas. Seems to do it when the motor gets to the upside of operating temperature but the wierd thing is on some trips it wont run bad at all. I changed the plugs a week ago and it seemed to run alot better until yesterday when the problem came back. I am getting a code 41. You think that harness will fix me up?

Old 04-23-2014, 10:19 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Rare occasion a tps out of adjustment can cause this,but when you do get codes,it's usually either 41(air temp short to ground) 42(engine temp short), or 45(barometric pressure short) or a combination of the three. Code 22 is a tps short to ground.Erratic operation, backfiring, idle fluctuation,rich running is usually a sign of t-bap harness or connector short.Yes they may run good at times,crappy at other times. I replaced more of these on the 500 and 700/800 than I'd like to remember. Sometimes wiggling the wires can reveal the problem,sometimes it cant,especially if the problem is the connector itself. Yes,I'd get the harness kit.The other alternative is take it to a dealer and have it hooked up to Digital Wrench which a lot of times may not reveal shorts,plus a lot of so called techs still don't know what to look for. Only The Best