Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

I'm a Douchie

Old 04-19-2014, 05:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm a Douchie

Does anybody know what drive belt interchanges with the Polaris belt on a 1996 sportsman 500?

Old 04-19-2014, 05:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Does anybody know what drive belt interchanges with the Polaris belt on a 1996 sportsman 500?

Old 04-19-2014, 06:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Plenty of aftermarket ones listed on ebay along with the oem belt. Just my stick with the 3211077 oem Polaris belt.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info. Is there any particular reason you like the Polaris belt better? and if you don't mind I have another question, I live at 4850ft elevation, how many turns out should my pilot screw set at? the manual says 1 1/2 turns for my 1996 sportsman 500 but it seems sluggish in the mid throttle range...

Old 04-20-2014, 09:58 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Fuel screw should be under a tamper proof plug. 152.5 main jet should be good to 3000 ft. 3000-6000 manual shows jet just drops down to 147.5 main.Not worth ripping the carb out for this small a decrease in most cases. Try just dropping the carb needle to lean the mid range and see if this helps. Plus make sure the air box is sealed good. This first model was bad about the air box bolts pulling out causing air leaks into the air box. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 04-20-2014, 10:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've read a lot of your responses to loss of power and have gone through and looked at everything you mentioned. The cam looks brand new, I went into the clutches (which were dirty as far as belt dust) and cleaned them, installed new buttons on the secondary drive, checked my fuel pump, took the carb off and went through it and cleaned all jets and it still seems sluggish. I have not adjusted the main needle to a leaner setting but if feels almost like it's starving for fuel as it is. I did mess with that pilot screw but I don't remember it having any type of tamper proof device on it. Since I have already messed with it, what should it be set at?

I did replace the airbox with one from a 2000 sportsman 500 and it has two 3/8" stubs that I have no idea what goes on them so I plugged them with screws. My box only had one but I still can't find a hose that size that would go on it but the box has a good seal on it...

Old 04-20-2014, 10:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

I know the number on the main jet said 130 also, that's what it came with when I bought it new from the dealer here in Albuquerque.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:14 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by orrtl
I know the number on the main jet said 130 also, that's what it came with when I bought it new from the dealer here in Albuquerque.
Looked at the wrong chart for temps. Does show 130 at you altitude from +40 degrees up,but this is not set in stone. Try raising the slide needle(dropping the clip) and see if it helps. Manual says 1 1/2 turns,but I always started at 2 turns and adjusted to best idle as the engine was warm if I removed the fuel screw cap.Usually ended up around 2 1/2 turns out in most cases. Sounds like someones already removed your cap. Later model air box had both the crank case vent and oil tank vent going to the air box. Just install a rubber plug over the one not used.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for the help, I will try dropping the clip one notch and see what happens... Thanks again!

Search this Thread