Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

97 Trail Boss 250

Old 04-16-2014, 10:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Trail Boss 250

Hey there, I recently purchased a 97 Trail Boss 250. I've been having some trouble with it, mostly with leaks and a lack of power. I replaced the oil line and luckily haven't had any more oil leaks. I then had to replace the petcock valve under the fuel tank because it was just spitting fuel like you wouldn't believe due to a faulty seal. Now my only problem is that fuel is leaking from the bottom of the carb, and there are two hoses connected to it, both of which aren't connected to anything. I think one of the hoses is supposed to connect to the valve under the carb, but when it's connected to said valve, it doesn't run. Besides that, When in high or low gear, while pushing on the throttle, the quad doesn't start moving until the throttle is about halfway down. I know for a fact that the throttle line is tight, so I just need to figure out why it's acting like this. Thank you for any help you can provide!

Old 04-16-2014, 11:36 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like you may need a carb kit,plus chunk the one way check valve if it's still on the carb vent lines and just run separate vent lines and a drain line from the carb bowl. Just zip tie the carb vents up under the fuel tank. http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARB-REBUILD-POLARIS-KIT-TRAIL-BOSS-250-2X4-4X4-89-90-91-92-93-94-95-96-97-98-99-/271031936722?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f1ac326d2&vxp=mtr

Old 04-16-2014, 11:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

If the hoses you're talking about are the two clear ones coming from the carb, I don't think they'll reach to the fuel tank. My friend who's helping me thinks the floater might be stuck from dirt or something because the quad doesn't have an air filter at the moment, so we might just take the carb out and clean it. I know the hose is supposed to take the fuel that comes out the bottom and recycle it basically, but I'll look into the carb rebuild kit, though it does look extremely clean for the year. I can link some pictures if it would help.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:53 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

New lines! Just chunk the old shorts ones,run two new upper vent lines,one bowl drain line. Zip tie the two vent lines up on the throttle cable and let them terminate under the tank. 3/16-1/4" Plastic tubing lines at any auto store. Looking clean and being clean are two different things when it comes to a carb! Plus get a good air filter if you want this engine to last.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you so much! Now with putting a third line in under the carb, will it stop fuel from leaking? Or should I still at least take a look inside it and see if the floater is gunked up, because at the moment shutting off the fuel valve only slightly lessens the leaking. Sorry if I seem like I'm repeating myself, this is my first quad and I wanna learn as much as possible so I can actually not melt the engine off the frame lol.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Bending the float arm shutting off fuel may not stop a drip,plus may starve the engine on top end.New carb kit includes a new needle and seat to where you can set the float level right. Float arm should be a parallel with the carb body or when you turn the carb at an angle with the float arm barely touching the needle,the distance should be 13-14mm (.051-.055 )