Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

04 700 sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 06:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 700 sportsman

my 700 sportsman has been sitting for while ran fine when parked. tried cranking wouldnt start cleaned the carb then noticed it would run only while holding the key all the way in crank mode when release key would die. put a spark light between plug and wire and checked for spark and sure enough will run and spark with key held in crank mode but when release key it cuts off and fire stops. and to get it to crank or spark again u have to cut key all the way off and start again cant just turn key from on position to start.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:47 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Carb or efi?? Had both in 2004. OPT

Old 12-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

it is carb sir sorry for not telling that

Old 12-16-2012, 08:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

First thing I'd do is to pull the front rack,pop the front panel and see if you have a Ducati Ignition(has a combo cdi and coil) If you do this needs to be replaced with a #2202602 Kokusan ignition kit. Changeover on the ignitions happened after 2/23/2003 build date,but still could be a few Ducati systems still out there. OPT

Old 12-16-2012, 08:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

it has coil by its self with cdi box to the left

Old 12-16-2012, 08:47 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Well that's one good thing in your favor! You do have the Kokusan ignition system. You said its been sitting up and you cleaned the carb,but only sparks when you hold the ignition switch on. If battery is new and fully charged,I'd check all connections,plus pull the stator cover and check if any moisture/rust is around the flywheel or pick up coil. Could just need to be cleaned up. If this doesn't help then you may need to check the switch wiring out. Doesn't happen often,but ignition switches can short out also. OPT

Old 12-16-2012, 08:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

will check the flywheel pick up coil, but have tried hot wiring the switch with it unplugged and does the same thing. thing that has me stumped is will run while holding the key in start position. only thing with that starter is still engaged while motor running

Old 12-16-2012, 09:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Check that the starter bendix isn't sticking also against the flywheel and is springing out and retracting back in properly after you pull the cover off to check the stator out. OPT

Old 12-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

will check tomorrow but this is kinda weird to why when u release the key thinking it will run and it loses its fire and cuts off. its like if u could hold the key all the way to crank and keep starter from turning it would be fine. thn ks for ur help sir will check other stuff let u no what i find.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

OPT checked the stator evry thing was ok. but stumbled on the problem. my battery was weak and had the charger on it trying to crank this thing and from messing with cars i decided to put a car battery on the 4wheeler battery for jump and run and fired ok. so now i have new battery on the way hope problem is fixed. thanks for all ur help. AND ANYONE WITH FIRING PROBLEMS MAKE SURE U HAVE GOOD BATTERY BEFORE ANY DIGNOSTICS IT WILL SAVE U LOT OF TIME DONT DO LIKE I DID THINKING BATTERY CHARGER WOULD DO THE JOB

Quick Reply: 04 700 sportsman