Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Take me to carb school

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 10:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Take me to carb school

I recently rebuilt my 1995 Polaris Trail Boss 250 engine. Compression and everything is good. Ignition is good. Moving on to the carb. I have it torn apart and cleaned. Waiting on the rebuild kit.

Note: Oil pump has been deleted and I will be premixing.

My questions are as follows:
How do I adjust the carburetor??
I hear that once I go to premix, I should re-jet the carb. How do I do that? How much bigger do I re-jet to? What size and so on.
Lastly, How much oil should I pour into one gallon of fuel?

Please advise. Thank you in advance

Old 10-22-2012, 08:01 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Just premix 40-1 with a good synthetic oil and it's not necessary to change jetting in most cases! This is a low compression engine! Get a ratio cup to accurately measure the oil OR just look at the back of the bottle, it will show how many ounces oil to 5 gallons of gas and use the wife's measuring cup For smaller batches (2 1/2 gals) just half the amount of oil. Just mix it up thoroughly in the gas can first.
The carb air/fuel screw is set between 1 1/2- 2 turns normally,not as sensitive as the fuel/air screw setting on the four stroke machines. Unless oil pump is definitely bad,most pumps are really dependable,but a lot of people discard em. I had em on several old 60's street bikes and the Mikuni pump never had any problems. OPT

Old 10-22-2012, 07:13 PM
Trailblazer

Perfect! Thanks! She started right up!! Runs great. Thank you for your help

Old 10-22-2012, 08:19 PM
Trailblazer

One last thing. There are various little vent tube plugs all around the carb. I do not remember where they go. I know about the big one where the fuel goes in. However, not the three little ones. There is one brass on under the float, one brass one on the top by the inlet, and one plastic one on the top by the motor side of the carb. Any advice?

Old 10-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Bottom is the over flow tube,just route a line to go below the bash plate to keep any fuel off the engine and gear case. The top are just vents. You can tie these up along the throttle and choke cable under the tank area. OPT

Old 10-23-2012, 09:00 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I like this link for Disassembly and Cleaning of a Mikuni Round slide Carburetor.

The only real trick they state is.

4. Using a flathead screwdriver, screw the pilot air jet in until it is fully closed, while counting the number of turns. Now write this number down, and you can remove the pilot air jet by fully unscrewing it. You will need to make sure the air jet ends up the exact same amount of turns out as it was originally when you put it back together. Set this aside for cleaning also.
lots of youtube vids on it also.