Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

4x4 not engaging after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 not engaging after rebuild

Read past posts first and still have a few questions.
I have an 06 800 sportsman, i let water sit a little too long and had it rebuilt. I bought all the parts except the cage that the roller bearings sit in. An atv shop here had the case glass beaded to clean replaced all seals and bearings except the plastic cage. He did notice a tiny crack at the bottom of cage but we did not replace. Now when it had dirty watery oil in it before it engaged all the time as normal a little choppy at times but engaged. Now put the new shiny diff on, 2 new axles, tie rod ends and pads all around. I broke a dang bolt on the mount, but it has 3 and should be fine for now. put 8oz polaris fluid in and noticed a leak at the shaft seal the next day. Looked in my manual and it says 5oz. Noticed the 06 has 2 different years made and I have a Dec 05 model, so i opened the fill plug drained it till level with threads and put cap back in. Sat for 3 days not one drip. Rode it yesterday cuz i didnt think it felt like it was engaging on initial run. I went up some florida sugar sand hills and burried my rear while the fronts wouldnt even engage.

Tried a few times, same I unplugged the diff from thumbswitch and the 4x4 symbol went off then i plugged it back in and it came on again. So that means its getting power.

He checked it only by a screwdriver that was drawn to the magnet.

SO now how do I check it?? I saw in recent post the cage has a major influence, and there was like a dust cover crimped over the round magnet. should that have been changed. Is the metal cage better than plastic? Have a big weekend this weekend and hate only having 2x4 but dont have much time. Any help is appreciated. Sorry Im typing in a hurry, I'm at the Fire station and have to go train.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Probably the cage has cracked more! The major problems were the plastic cage failures and you should have replaced it with the updated aluminum cage plus always replace the armature plate also when you go into the gear case! Polaris offers the aluminum cage,other members have replaced em with John Deere parts,hopefully they can chime in on JD part numbers and you can decide which way to go. OPT

Old 11-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Range Rover

Really JD Parts?? Sound like they would be more economical than Polaris prices. What was the armiture plate?? Big ring that is held in by large snap ring??

Old 11-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Armature plate is the metal ring with tabs on the inside of it! Some of the recent posts on this subject have the part numbers for John Deere parts needed if you research this,plus others should jump in shortly. OPT

Old 11-07-2011, 04:02 PM
Range Rover

OPT thanks alot, You (and other people like you) are what this forum is good for.

I looked up on an exploded parts view and found it.

Any thing to do with voltage going to it???

Also called 2 different JD dealers and apparently its not well known that some parts for the diffs can be used in polaris, But i will be searching on here for past posts as u stated. Cant just rush to buy something especially for $200 and it not be the prob.

Its really going to be tough to spend 3 days this weekend at the Redneck Yacht Club in florida and not have 4x4. I look for the sloppy stuff just to see if I can make it. Oh well it will be fun family time and Im sure I will still get stuck, the winch needs to get used too. ha

Old 11-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Voltage goes to the coil assembly inside the cover plate when you switch the awd on. This pulls back the armature plate unlocking the hilliard(roll cage) allowing it to roll free until the rear tires slip,then the cage bearings ramp up locking the front wheels in.They unlock when the rear tires have traction. Same principle as the old hub activated awd but in a centralized gear case. OPT

Old 11-08-2011, 07:30 PM
Range Rover

Thanks opt guess I'll be spending some Christmas money on me. just frustrating thought about tearing it down to see if parts are in right tomorrow. What is the reason for replacing the armature isn't it just a metal plate? So the metal cage is preferred?

Old 11-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

John deer part #s
Roller Kit MIA 10666
Cage kit MIA 10667
Seal kit MIA 10654
armature plate MIA 10656
Thrust bearing and washer MIA 10663
John deer uses same diff in the Gator

Old 11-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Range Rover

Wow thanks Kbirds, Ill call the JD place here tomorrow just to see a cost difference. Thats awesome.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Range Rover

OK OPT another odd question. On the diff there is a breather tube that is attached and going up. There is also small port on the right side off diff the same side the electrical part is in. The guy who rebuilt it stated he filled that little part with silicone. What is that little nipple for?? it did not have a tube attached and I think he may have siliconed inside the top breather port. So in a closed space like this does the lack of air affect the diff? I may take it apart today and see if it makes a if I clean the silicone out. Seems to me the bleeder is important. Any idea??? Thanks

Quick Reply: 4x4 not engaging after rebuild