Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Is This Engine A Possibility? The Clean Burning Two Stroke

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh that is funny surveyor[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]ORrrr better yet make em ride a 2stroke until they plead how much fun there having and then have them admit that because they never had a day of fun in ther elife they wante dto ruin it for every 1 else.Oh my now that I dont have any 1 to save me I better go out and ride my brains out cause Im too far gone at this point in life to be saved[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-02-2002, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider

Some early two-strokes had an oil filled crankcase. The cylinder was fed by a seperate supercharger.

Two-strokes are the most dirty running at idle. In an article I read about that Honda prototype, it said a two stroke misfires two out of three times at idle (kind of makes it a 6 stroke). The power valve on it was two stage giving three power curves. Normally, a power valve was two power curves. One is for mid range and the other for top end power. The first power curve on the prototype Honda was for idle and just off idle. This made the engine fire every revolution at idle and therefore burned cleaner. This also made it have great low end grunt.

The emission levels at the RPM of peak torque on any two-stroke are probably not that bad. There are many techniques that already exist for broadening usable power. If packaged together properly, a clean running two stroke with a very broad power band can be produced. However, it may have as many moving parts as a four stroke if not more.

Old 05-02-2002, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

I really think whats done is done,the laws are set in place and 4 strokes it wiil be.However companys will covertly experiment and I believe to keep the motorcycle and atv world ect going if they ever get to a clean machine thats affordable w the right marketing walla it will be back and be like the craze quadzilla created when it 1st came out.This is the way I believe what will happen. the companys know this creates controversy and popularity and thus keeps the industry alive and well.

Old 05-02-2002, 09:36 PM
Trailblazer

I have read they are working on coatings for the cylinder walls and piston that will allow much less oil in the mixture.

Old 05-03-2002, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

Seriously tho back when The klintonia kommunist era was about to end 2 strokes and the gas engine for good,several companys stepped up to the plate,2 of them was Honda and believe it or not Husqavarna <i believe it was steve hatch who tested these new emission legal huskys 2 strokes and said the snap and acceleration was incredible and if the standards do go thru these machines will be put out?Now what just in the world happened all the fuss and muss and nutting. As fast as it all started was as fast as it was over,it was as if something leaked out and the companys got hush hushed bout it.Its like the big bang theory hot damn they just keep us guessing and running around in circles.Gee im starting to make my thread sound like the X-files well the truth is out there somewhere[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img].

Old 05-04-2002, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a oil control ring would have a hard time controlling oil as it goes past the ports.My idea anyway.

Old 05-17-2002, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider

I beg to differ AZSAND,

The 426 Yami will run with the 250's.... They will never catch up in the power to weight ratios of a 2 stroker!

If and when they can compete cc to cc (Apples to Apples) I'll eat my words.

Old 05-17-2002, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

sure will!!! but ive heard that cannondale's 400 will smoke the honda 460f, maybe even the yz496?! 4 stroke is the way to go

Old 05-24-2002, 05:37 PM
Range Rover

go to www.maximumsled.com/intros/skidoo2003/800sdi.asp. there is no reason this type engine could not be made for a quad.

Old 05-24-2002, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<< IF YOU HOP YOUR BUTT ON YZ 426F YOU,LL NO LONGER MISS THE TWO STROKE 13'500 RPM OF FULL THROTTLE MADDNESS YES THE 4 STROKE HAS SURPASSED THE 2 STROKE AND I HAVEN'T RODE THE HONDA BUT MY SON SAYS IS NOT FAR BEHIND THE 426F THERE ARE SOME WAIT ISSUES BUT I HAVE A KTM 550 THE BADDEST TWO STROKE OF ALL TIME AND MY 426 CAN BEAT HER!!!

PS sorry to get off the subject but a lot of people dont't under stand that 4 strokes have caught the 2's
>>

just for reference the ktm 550 is not the baddest meanest or fastest dirtbike of all time.every dirt bike magazine in the world has done heads up testing on the bigbores and the same conclusion year after year after year the kx 500 has came out on top as the fastest dirtbike money can buy.i know the ktm has a bigger motor but it still don't have the raw horsepower and shear torque or technology the kx has. and if you would like to argue about it i bet 99% of the people in these country that knows anything at all about dirtbikes would agree with me.but don't get me wrong i owned a 92 ktm 550 and the thing was a rocket by any means.but i still own kx 500's and i've had cr 500's and the kx still is the king of the roost.
and on to a further note,yes 2 strokes will make a come back,and yes the technology is already out there.the 2 stroke can run cleaner then a four stroke and still make as much power as it would normally.
for the first time in history a 2 stroke engine won the cleanest running engine award,at this big shabang that the epa and some other people put together to see what the mad scientists of engine building an come up with.and this year a 2 stroke walked away with the honors and blew the 4 strokes away.and even with emmissions and fuel injection the stroke engine would still be cheaper and more afficient to produce then a 4 stroke.

Quick Reply: Is This Engine A Possibility? The Clean Burning Two Stroke