Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Utility Vehicle on ATV or Jeep trails

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Utility Vehicle on ATV or Jeep trails

With the recent influx of UTV's there have been many issues come up on the trails.

Many people that have never been on a OHV or anything other then a car are now on our trails (New UTV owners ex. Rhino/RZR's) I understand that there have not been any laws set that address this class of vehicle or establish any rules for them.

My question is where do they fit in? According to there registration they are an ATV. However a ATV is defined as a vehicle that has a handlebar and is stratled. Many of the ATV trails were built by hand with the help of many Forest volunteers and OHV people that put a lot of hard work into opening those trails. The were designed for 50" or less. Almost all of the UTV are 56" or greater..Yes I know the RZR is 48". Have you ever seen two fat Hunters in a RZR. It looks like two barrels hanging out on the sides!! HAHAHA. Anyways were are these guys to ride?

The trouble, as I mentioned before are new people to the sport....actually ignorant people to the sport that dont care or have any clue to the preservation or upkeep of our resources.....I am by no means a tree hugger, but I love our outdoors and would love it if my kids, kids, kids would be able to enjoy them.

FYI a idiot in a Rhino doing 40mph not paying attention or having any regard against a Jeep bumper is going to lose......
Inaddition that same Rhino @ 40mph against your kid on his or her 90cc well you get the picture.

Curious what people have to say.....
- By the way I myself would love to buy a UTV.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.

The WI DNR is conducting a trial of allowing "utv's" on trails. Several counties are involved. I haven't heard of any problems, but most of our trails are former logging roads or railroad beds, so they are a lot wider than 50 inches. I'm surprised there would be public trails that narrow anywhere. Even before such vehicles became legal on a trial basis, I heard an enforcement person say he wasn't about to "arrest grandma and grandpa for riding their Gator on the trails." He just didn't see that as a big threat to public safety.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Range Rover

We have Plenty of Narrow trails, Here. Look UP "East fort Rock OHV" in Bend Oregon. around 300 miles of trails, went on a few last week end and the 800 Polaris scraped both rear fenders on more than one ocassion. No way a UTV of any type would make it.

Biggest issue I have is everyone has to always go so fast, and they always have to gas it on the corners like they are ricky the racers. I would like to see sport Quads
& Class 3 have different rules, and drifferent trails. and I would also like to see speed limits plus enforcement.

At the east fort Rock OHV last week end me and the wife where not 10 mins on the trail when a Class 3 came around a corner so fast he had to lock it up just so he did not run into us. I had to ride up on the right bank so he could skirt by.

I am sure this could be come a big issue, Me and the wife are going to pretty much stay out of all the Official OHV parks Just because of how fast everyone go's. We will stick to the forest rodes. We are not in a race or going to be stunt jumping and being "Cool" we will Just be slow dorks.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Trailblazer

Discovery and Deeplaker60....Both of you are right. Both of you live in different states. I agree with Discovery. I wish Class 3 (sport quads???) and UTV would have there own places to go. Many of the sport quad peeps only want to go fast and jump and obsticle in their path...tree, boulders or bambie. Again i love going fast, but I also love the outdoors and my quad. To keep the quad in the outdoors you must be responsible.....

What if you had a child with you when that Class 3 came around the corner. Would of that child been able to stop in time.

I work at a cemetery and have the unfortunate responsibilty to bury many children. Let me tell you they are not my families, and no matter how many times I have to conduct services for children it affects me very much.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:27 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I came across a widened UTV that was stuck on a hairpin turn in the local mountains. These trails are designated at 50" wide, and when I entered I noticed that the 50" wide posts had been pulled down to let a wider vehicle in. He was in a bad spot, and was going to roll it down the hill if he wasn't carefull. Now normally I always stop and help anybody in trouble out on the trail...but no way this time!

I do see these frequently driven at high speed, without much regard for the safety of others who are in vehicles with less protection....and who knows if the driver you meet on the trail is sober or not???? And, I have uninsured/underinsured coverage because you know none of these idiots will carrying insurance when they total you quad.

Also, these are not kids toys by any means, so I would like to see a law that anybody who is not licensed has to be supervised by a licensed driver.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Trailblazer

Hello, W.

Nice to see ya agian. We need to hit the trails again soon... I share the same trails with reconranger an I agree. There are too many crazies out there.

As far as the licensing for these vehicle. The are still supposed to be able to provide proof of registration. Your right as far as insurance. It is not required by law and I would also recommend having full coverage just to protect yourself from the harm of others.

Its sad that people destroy what other work so hard to get all of us. Do you recall what trail they pulled the post out of??? Would love to go back and put up a better one.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TheHun

Hello, W.

Nice to see ya agian. We need to hit the trails again soon... I share the same trails with reconranger an I agree. There are too many crazies out there.

As far as the licensing for these vehicle. The are still supposed to be able to provide proof of registration. Your right as far as insurance. It is not required by law and I would also recommend having full coverage just to protect yourself from the harm of others.

Its sad that people destroy what other work so hard to get all of us. Do you recall what trail they pulled the post out of??? Would love to go back and put up a better one.</end quote></div>

Get a bag of cement, get a bucket, put water in the bucket, make cement, bury cement in the ground after you put sign in it. That was if an idiot decides to push it out of the way he will wreck his quad instead.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Trailblazer

Thats the plan anyway...just need to find the post now.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I think this points out a couple issues actually. First, I think we are seeing more and more riding areas being opened up to side by sides. I do not have any issue with that if the trails are up to handling them. There in lies the rub. You need wider trails which will over tax the trail maint budgets that are already too small to get them up to standard. I have always pushed for wider trails even for regular Utility quads.

I also agree that woods riding is no place to hang it out... leave that to the dunes, tracks and open areas where you can see everything going on around you. Racing in amongst the trees is not good when children are present. I do think that any new trails being built today should keep the side by sides in mind though. Let's face it, they are on our side... we share a lot of the same issues. In the trees, I find them slowing us all down, not going too fast... At least that is my experience out East

Old 09-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Trailblazer

Quote from Reconranger (Also, these are not kids toys by any means, so I would like to see a law that anybody who is not licensed has to be supervised by a licensed driver. )

In Minnesota unless your kid is over 13 years old he should not be out on the trails. It is not safe! Keep your kids off the trails.

Quick Reply: Utility Vehicle on ATV or Jeep trails