Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Train kills ATV'er

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Train kills ATV'er

I wonder how this guy got stuck on rail road tracks?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Richmond WI man killed when train crashes into his ATV
Pioneer Press

Article Last Updated: 10/08/2008 12:44:47 PM CDT

A New Richmond man on an ATV died this morning when he got stuck trying to cross railroad tracks in rural New Richmond, the St. Croix County sheriff's office said.

Vincent V. Timm, 31, was riding to work along the Wisconsin Central Railroad Line tracks about a quarter-mile east of County Road O in the Town of Cylon. As he tried to cross the tracks, the 1989 Yamaha 350 ATV got stuck.

At the same time, a 100-car Canadian National train was going west on the tracks. The train conductor saw the ATV and put on the brakes, but could not stop in time. The train carried about 9.700 tons of product.

At the time of the crash, fog restricted visibility in the area, the sheriff's office said.

Timm was dead at the scene.

The St. Croix County sheriff's office is investigating the accident.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Trailblazer

That or why he didn't bail off the wheeler when he saw the huge train coming towards him..

Poor dude..

Old 10-10-2008, 12:49 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At Glamis last year, somebody got stuck on the RR tracks in a Rhino....same result!

Old 10-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel sorry for the poor guy, and what his family must be going through.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider

You know, I grew up around trains and have been around them on and off my entire life. When I was old enough to walk around unsupervised I hung around the rail yard. In all of that time I've never even come close to being hit by a train. They're huge, noisy beasts that shake the ground like an earthquake. It's like someone trying to sneak up on you with a foghorn attached to a bulldozer. You can hear it long before it ever gets close.

I've never understood how people get hit by trains. I mean, you can hear and feel the thing coming long before ti ever gets near you. I could understand if you've drank yourself unconscious or if you're blind and deaf maybe. How a normally functioning human can get run over by a train I just can't figure.

In this case I guess the guy was trying to get his ATV off the tracks or something. Dang, dude. It's worth 10,000 tops let it go and turn it in on your insurance. it's not worth our life.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:55 AM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: CaptainQuint

You know, I grew up around trains and have been around them on and off my entire life. When I was old enough to walk around unsupervised I hung around the rail yard. In all of that time I've never even come close to being hit by a train. They're huge, noisy beasts that shake the ground like an earthquake. It's like someone trying to sneak up on you with a foghorn attached to a bulldozer. You can hear it long before it ever gets close.

I've never understood how people get hit by trains. I mean, you can hear and feel the thing coming long before ti ever gets near you. I could understand if you've drank yourself unconscious or if you're blind and deaf maybe. How a normally functioning human can get run over by a train I just can't figure.

In this case I guess the guy was trying to get his ATV off the tracks or something. Dang, dude. It's worth 10,000 tops let it go and turn it in on your insurance. it's not worth our life.</end quote></div>

Not true in most cases. I have worked on railroad cars since 1978. I have been in hundreds of rail yards to inspect railcars. With well maintained rail and the type of maintenance performed on most coal trains (which is what this one was) trains can be very quiet. They can actually come up behind you without you ever hearing them.
Please remember train tracks are private property and shoud not be used for ATV travel. Even crossing the tracks, unless at a designated crossing is not good. Bad things can happen as it did with this guy. He was way to young to die.
Also crossing at non crossing areas redistributes the ballast which in turn can and does lead to erosion along the tracks caused by hydro pressure from water. This can cause big problems for the railroads.
I am not trying to rain on anyones parade, but private property is just that, and we should all respect that.

It ain't fun cleaning up after something like this happens.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Damn, that sucks...

Old 11-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Trailblazer

Ya that is actually 5 miles from my mom and dads place. Thats actually my wifes cousin that got hit on those tracks. bad deal there