Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 flooded and no oil

Old 07-07-2014, 02:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 flooded and no oil

Hi ;

My name is Bruce and I live in surrey British Columbia. I have been doing all kinds of mechanical work since I was 14 and now 53.
What I have is a friends son’s LT80 that he dropped off because they could not start it and the rear brakes would not release on its own. Well fixed the brake problem and started to work on the bike not wanting to turn over very good. Thought maybe a bad battery but that was not the case. Next thought it was a starter going bad so I pulled the plug to see if it would turn over better with no plug in it. That’s when I discovered the cylinder was full of fuel.
I guess the needle valve must be stuck open and the fuel has been draining into the cylinder filling the engine up with fuel. So proceeded to turn it over to pump the fuel out and then pulled the plug out of the exhaust and drained out the fuel from the muffler.

Now I am sure the crank case must also be filled with fuel but I cannot find any drain plug for that. I am wondering how I can get the crank case drained without having to hang the bike upside down.

Also I did pull the drain plug out of what I think is the gear box in the back towards the axel and only got a ½ oz. of milky oil out of that. I am sure that is not good either. There is no manual for this bike so I am not sure if that is supposed to be filled with oil and if it is how much and what kind?

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks
Bruce

Old 07-07-2014, 05:07 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

The gearbox has a level plug but only holds 80ml of SAE 20W-40 engine oil. The cylinder full of fuel is not uncommon, if you get all the fuel you can out through the plug-hole by cranking the engine over then fit a clean dry plug, it should fire up and burn the excess fuel etc. Be careful to keep the fuel and sparks away from each other when cranking with the plug out.

The tank tap should shut the fuel supply when the engine is stopped, provided you don't have it on prime, but the LT80 tap is poor quality and expensive so people put up with faulty ones.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
The gearbox has a level plug but only holds 80ml of SAE 20W-40 engine oil. The cylinder full of fuel is not uncommon, if you get all the fuel you can out through the plug-hole by cranking the engine over then fit a clean dry plug, it should fire up and burn the excess fuel etc. Be careful to keep the fuel and sparks away from each other when cranking with the plug out.

The tank tap should shut the fuel supply when the engine is stopped, provided you don't have it on prime, but the LT80 tap is poor quality and expensive so people put up with faulty ones.
Thanks merryman.

I have been cranking the engine over with no plug in order to pump the fuel out. I have also stood the bike up on end to try and drain the fuel out of the exhaust. I have probably gotten almost 1/2 quart out of it so far. I am just not sure how long this thing has been sitting with fuel draining into the engine so I figured some must have gotten down inside the crankcase as well. Thought it might be a good idea to make sure all the fuel is completely out of the crankcase too before I decide to start it up.

He has two of these and I just finished working on the other one for him. he couldn't get it started and I figured out the tank tap was not letting any fuel out because it was missing the vacuumed line on it. Now this one will not shut off and is feeding it to much fuel. So I will take it apart and see why the valve is stuck on it.

Bruce

Old 07-08-2014, 07:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the forums.
You have gotten all the fuel out of the crankcase by spinning the motor over.
You'll have to apply full throttle to get it going (it needs the air).
Many problems with float needles allowing fuel by (I blame ethanol) when not running.
I install a inline fuel filter with fuel shut off valve. I shut the valve and let the machine idle till the carb is dry. This has helped many.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LT80
Welcome to the forums.
You have gotten all the fuel out of the crankcase by spinning the motor over.
You'll have to apply full throttle to get it going (it needs the air).
Many problems with float needles allowing fuel by (I blame ethanol) when not running.
I install a inline fuel filter with fuel shut off valve. I shut the valve and let the machine idle till the carb is dry. This has helped many.
Ok thanks LT80

Bruce

Old 07-09-2014, 03:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks to everyone.

Bike is now up and running and gear box has new oil in it. Rear brakes were sticking on and pulled them apart and they need new shoes so those are now ordered.

Bruce