Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Electrical or Low Compression issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 02:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical or Low Compression issue?

I have a '07 Outlaw 90 that has been having some issues causing it to die after abut 10 minutes of riding. It will not crank back up immediately. I have to let it sit for about 10-15 minutes and it will crank back up and run fine. It does not act up or has not shown a lose of power. I was thinking it would be the CDI box causing the issue. I have swaped out the coil, plug, and added new grounds, cleaned all the electrical connections I could find. Also I have taken the kill switch apart and cleaned it, and closed the loop on the safety switch and added a new battery with no luck. The other day I finally ran across the correct fitting to check the compression on it. Which ended up being 85 PSI. The manual shows it should be between 115-150 PSI. Not sure if I had a good seal on the compression tester either. Would low compression cause my problems? When it dies it loses spark. I know compression has nothing to do with the electrical components and the firing. I am at a lose with it. I really hate to continue buying parts that I don't need. I have tested the stator it reads within its range. Anyone have any sugesstions on something that I might be missing or should check? I am really leaning to the CDI, but I have read mixed reviews that it could be faulty and that there is no grey area either it is good or bad. Is there a grey area with a CDI or if it's bad it's bad and if it's good it's good. Thanks in advance for the help. Sorry for such a long post. Just wanted to explain everything.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I bet "old polaris tech" will be in to help you out.
He be the one to ask.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any electronic device can have intermitten failure. or quit working when it heats up.so the cdi could cause this. but 85 psi is low. I would at least re ring its not hard or expensive

Old 12-21-2013, 09:14 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I'd check valve clearance as the valves could be tightening up when warm,loosing compression. Plus you show 85 psi now which is not good! Could be tight valves causing this or worn piston/rings. Set the valves and recheck compression. If compression is raised ,but still have problems,could be electrical. Best if you have a manual to eliminate one thing at a time rather than throwing parts at it. Here's a cheap 5 buck service manual.2007 Polaris Outlaw 90 Service Manual PDF Download