Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

2003 Suzuki LTA-50 Carb Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Suzuki LTA-50 Carb Problems

I inadvertently posted this in the Ask an Expert Forum. Sorry about that.

Background:
* All restrictors removed
* Airflow increased with opening filter box
* Stacked pilot removed
* Main increased to 67.5
* Compression 80lbs - good for 5.6:1 compression ratio
* Good spark
* Carburetor rebuilt - this is where I think my problems lie...see below

Results
Pretty awesome. I am 190lbs and I have to tap the brakes to make hard turns where as before I never let off the throttle. I need to carry my gps to clock it but guessing she is making close to 20mph.

Initial Start
In order to start, I put the petcock on the prime position and choke it. It is a little hard starting (10-15 pulls). Once started, it will usually die out and restart on next pull until it catches good. Let it warm up and everything is ok.

After Stopping It
I see fuel overflowing out of carb a little bit. The only way I can get it to restart is to drain the bowl and go back through the initial start procedures. If I do that, I can get it going again in about 10-15 pulls with in prime position with choke on and then switch petcock to on position. After that, it runs good again until I stop it...then must repeat procedure.

Other Info
When I disassembled the carb, I found a tiny oring wound up in the spring that is inside the pilot air screw hole. it could not have been doing anything as it was twisted up in the spring. There was no oring on the throttle stop screw. In looking at the parts diagram online and also my service manual, it shows no orings for either the pilot air screw or the throttle stop screw. What was this oring doing in there? I did not reinstall it when I rebuilt carb.

My Suspicion
Maybe my float is set improper. I have the specs on it, but it is very hard to measure with out the right tools. When turned upside down should it be basically level/parallel with the carb body or do I need to get it measured?

Am I on the right track with my suspicion? Any other thoughts...and what about that weird oring?

PS...you guys have a great forum. I have been working on this 4 wheeler for a few weeks now and this forum has been very helpful. Getting the main jet size up to 67.5 from the stock 55 was a huge help.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Def a carb problem as it's flooding out.
I'd try adjusting the float, hopefully it has a metal tab to bend.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LT80
Def a carb problem as it's flooding out.
I'd try adjusting the float, hopefully it has a metal tab to bend.

I can't figure out how to measure the float height easily...the way it sits you can't easily measure with calipers. Can I just set it parallel with the carb body?

Old 09-22-2013, 09:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by jb93
I can't figure out how to measure the float height easily...the way it sits you can't easily measure with calipers. Can I just set it parallel with the carb body?
No. Setting it parallel will not give it enough lift to close off the fuel needle...thus creating a flooding condition. I measured mine with calipers just fine.