Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

05 Polaris Predator problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Polaris Predator problems

ok so I have a couple problems with an 05 predator 50 I got for my daughter. it didn't run when I got it. was told it sat for about a year. I took arb off and cleaned it very good. pulled jets and needles along with float. completely tore down to clean. took air filter out to clean it as well. put fresh gas in but did not change the oil in the injection, maybe its my problem? anyways, the quad will run now but not long. if I have the air box disconnected from the carb she will run for while and run good, then after maybe 15 min it will bog down and die. sometimes it will start right back up, other times I have to let it sit for a while. but if the air box is connected to the carb I can only get the quad to idle even when giving full throttle. and t doesn't matter if the filter is in the box or not. if the carb isn't completely open at the intake mouth it wont run on its own. also have took plug out to clean it. also has plenty of spark as well.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:06 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Could be time for a new top end.I'd do a compression check,especially since it'll run for awhile then die and has to cool down to restart. Manual shows 115 psi minimum,but really needs more than that to run properly.Sitting for a year isn't good on crank seals either.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

90% of the time it will run great as long as I leave the air box off. only very now and then will it die and not start back up. but if I put the air box on it, the only ay it will run is throttle wide open and even then its barely at n idle, ut as son as I remove air box at full throttle it runs normal. what should the voltage be when full throttle? im getting a reading of close to 16v. im thinking stator could be going bad

Old 08-20-2013, 07:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok so now I have it where it will run with the air box on. haven't put filter in yet though. till dies after running a few min. but will crank back up within 45 seconds. could it be stator or coil problems maybe? also it almost seems like it isn't getting gas but I know the bowl has gas in it. and I also just re cleaned the carb and its good.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok so I put all the plastics back on and got the quad together. had to remove air box to crank bt once running put air box back in place, still with no filter tho. rode it around for about 30 min with no problems. seems to be intermittent maybe. not really sure what else I should do to this thing. I do know the battery is bad, could that have anyting to do with the problems im having?

Old 08-21-2013, 06:12 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You don't have to have a good battery to crank these little 50s.You can crank em with the kick starter. If you have to remove the air box for it to run, it's either getting too much fuel or the air filter is restrictive. Most cases it's the carb,plus sitting up is bad on crank seals that could be leaking causing problems.Carbs are cheap enough on Ebay just to replace them.http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2005-2006-Carburetor-POLARIS-50-PREDATOR-MANUAL-CHOKE-CARB-NEW-/200815597821?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec18ad8fd&vxp=mtr Plus I'd still do a compression check to see where you stand on the top end..

Old 08-21-2013, 08:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

t ran today with the air box on it, but the filter wasn't in yet. ran good until I shut it off. maybe it just needed the cobwebs blown out or something. I dunno. if it starts acting up again I will buy a new carb off ebay. but should the battery wires be showing almost 16v when its running with no battery?

Old 08-22-2013, 09:16 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Keep a battery hooked up at all times whether it's good or bad!! Voltage not going to the battery whether it can keep the charge or not can cause spikes affecting electrical components. Might be time for a new voltage regulator as they can over charge as well as under charge when faulty..Item #7. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 08-22-2013, 11:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

the battery is hooked up. gonna check the voltage again today when I crank it up and see if its still high or not. will look into a new regulator as well. thanks for the help. you have beenawesome

Old 08-23-2013, 07:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

How about checking the comp lik OPT mentioned twice.

Quick Reply: 05 Polaris Predator problems