Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 Starting issue. No fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 06:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 Starting issue. No fuel?

My son had his quad out in the snow, it started cutting out like he was flicking the kill switch on and off. Suspecting he had soaked the ignition I dried off what wiring I could get at and took the plug out and wiped it, put it back and away it went for about 20 minutes until playing up again. Being cold and wet we put it back in the shed. Three weeks later on a nice dry sunny day I got it out and it fired up and ran tidy for about 2 minutes before cutting in and out and eventually stopping. Now it will not start or even fire.
I refurbished the carb when I bought it as it was running rough which solved a lot of issues, (the only thing I would say is on starting from cold you need the choke on for about 30 seconds before it runs tidy and you need to pull it up every time to get it to fire even when warm but once it fires you can drop the button), but to rule it out as it seems to be the main cause of all starting issues I took it off and stripped it again, all was clear and the bowl was full of fuel.
I have ruled out the fuel tap as on prime the fuel runs well and the carb refills.The float also operates as it should.
On run no fuel comes out but after cranking the engine for a while and then removing the pipe fuel dribbles out until the pipe is empty.
I have had the plug out and there is a good spark, flicking the kill switch on and off while cranking the engine works properly every time so I don't think there is an intermittent fault there.
Trying to flood the engine with the tap on prime, the kill switch off,choke on and after several short bursts of cranking the plug still comes out dry suggesting it isn't getting any fuel but with no visible signs of a blockage in the jets and the carb filling properly I'm stumped.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Stumpy,,,

First, put 2 fingers in front of the carb and try hand choking it.
If the problem persists: Check the compression.
After that I'm thinking:: broke reed, bad crankshaft seal, air leak at carb mount (o-ring or insulator cracked).

Oh yea, It also sounded like your spark plug cap was loose/popping off at first there. The stock caps are not very good. I'd duct tape it down.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi LT80. Just had five minutes to try your advice. Two fingers over the carb and it will fire and run for a few seconds but not idle.The battery has run flat now so it will have to wait again for another day. From your other advice I'm thinking possibly an air leak at the carb mount as it has been on and off a couple of times, the o ring could have got pinched.I will hopefully have time this weekend to check it over and will post back my findings.
Thanks for your reply.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Georgesquad when you get in and figure out what exactly is wrong let me know and I can help you find some parts. LT80 gave you some good advice, good luck!

Old 05-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

New plastic carb mount and o ring fitted,couldn't see a lot wrong with the old one but wasn't expensive to change, fired up but still cutting in and out,took the plug cap off and it fell off the lead, screwed it back on and all sorted. One happy boy again. Thanks for your help.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Glad it's going.