Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Baja 90 wants to drive away while idling

Old 04-29-2013, 05:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja 90 wants to drive away while idling

Hello everyone, I just picked up a a 2006 Baja Wilderness 90cc for my lil guy last week, it ran good when I picked it up it just took a long time to warm up. So being as it's still early spring where we live I figured I would do a complete service on the quad before I surpised him with it. So after changing the fuel, oil change, cleaning the carb, greaing the chasis and ordering a new air filter it seemed ready to good. So of course I took it for a lil spin in my shop and it worked great but then it decided that it still wanted to drive away without any throttle being applied. I have dialed the idle as low as I can without stalling the motor and it still wants to drive. Everytime I try to start it with a rider on the loadof the bike wanting to drive is to much for the bike to start, it just keeps lurging forward. I have a service manual and owners manual for the bike and there are some differences in regards to gear oil and engine oil, the to service manuals show the same sight glass and dip stick but call for to different oils. There is only one dip stick so I have to assume that is for the engine oil but I'm wondering if the different oils may affect the clutch or what I did to mess up the clutch. Our land is almost dry and I would love to get my lil guy riding please send your thoughts or suggestions.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

those lil quads are automatics right? 1 speeds? if so, dial/adjust the centrifugal clutch back. should take a wrench and a flat screwdriver on the side. jamb nut set up. OR, did you adjust the turnbuckle adjustment on the throttle cable to help on the idle?

Old 05-29-2013, 11:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

I will try the wrench and screwdiver, I have not adjusted the turnbuckle.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:13 PM
Trailblazer

I had the same issue with my daughters Polaris 90 Sportsman. I found it to be the air\fuel mixture screw. I started it with the screw all the way in, then slowly turned it just to were it idled smooth.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same issue with my sons eton 90, it ended up being the idle needle in the carb, even after a good cleaning I had to replace the needle.