Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

sorry that my ?'s are too basic...first timer help

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 10:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sorry that my ?'s are too basic...first timer help

Hi all,

So we are a snowmobile family that has aquired 120 acres with old logging truck paths as our trails on the property. We are now looking at some atv's.

I have 3 kids 9,7,4 I'm beginning my search to some used vehicles for the kids.

I keep getting conflicting opinions from others about what to buy so I thought asking here would be the smartest choice.

I have my eyes on a suzuki 2x4 250 - or an 82 honda 185 3 wheeler... or a 90cc yamaha sportman. I'm confused as to what would work well for the next few years as a basic, entry machine that wont be too much for the kids to handle.

I'm hoping to buy two machines - one for my 9yr old daughter (who handles my 440 snowmobile just fine) and one for the younger girl/4 yr old who are more apprehensive.

Thanks for any thoughts...

Kelly in WI

p.s. do we stay away from the old honda 3 wheelers?

Old 04-29-2013, 10:56 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Unless you're just nostalgic, I'd stay away from the 3 wheeler. Parts are going to be harder to find, and they tend to be a little more dangerous to the inexperienced rider. I think a more important quality would be can they reach and operate the controls properly. They may be able to hit the gas and turn it, but if they can't reach the brakes, trouble is waiting.

When I got my great niece riding, she didn't like being on an electric one too long. (3 years old) But until she could show me that she could steer around objects, stop and back up without any problems, I put her on a "real" quad. Took her just over a year, but it was worth the wait.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:38 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
Welcome to the forums.

Unless you're just nostalgic, I'd stay away from the 3 wheeler. Parts are going to be harder to find, and they tend to be a little more dangerous to the inexperienced rider.

my 9 yo son loves his kawasaki kfx 50- perfect size for a 5-10 yo first timers.
much more stable than the chinese atv's- wider & lower to the ground.