Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Kids ATV buying dilema

Old 03-22-2013, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kids ATV buying dilema

My son has been riding a Chinese ATV for the last 2 years. It's a machine that we bought used and is as old as he is (2004). I've got $1500 to buy him a newer/larger machine. I've been all over the board a far as what to buy. Looking at everything from another Chinese unit to a 2009 Arctic Cat 150. I read that it is dangerous to put a child on an atv that is too large for him. Last week I looked at a nearly new Chinese ATV for $450. I passed because it was too similar to what he has and I wanted to get something nicer. But is paying $1500 for a Yamaha/Honda/Polaris 90 really a good investment for a 10 year old? In two years he will be experienced enough for a larger machine. Now I'm thinking to buy the $450 Chinese unit and let him ride it for two years and bank the other $1000 for when he is ready for a larger ATV. Good idea or bad?

Old 03-22-2013, 11:34 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

But is paying $1500 for a Yamaha/Honda/Polaris 90 really a good investment for a 10 year old?
Its a good idea, the thing I find with the "name brand" kids machines like Snowmobiles and dirtbikes and ATVs is there is always another generation looking for them after your kid moves up in size. The resale of them does not drop very much.

Buy one for $1500 use it for a few years and resell it for couple of hundred less. The next guy will do the same and so on.
At a certain point the machine will not ever drop in price no matter its age as long as it runs good. Thats called the bottoming out price.

The theory is unlike adults, kids do not tash these little slow machines when they ride them.

My friend just sold his trouble free kids 2004 Yamaha PW 80 dirt bike for $1200 after his kid rode it for 2 years and thats the same price he got it for used.

With the Chinese unit your kid will be watching you wrenching on it rather then you watching him ride it. Even at $450 you will lose more money on it comes resale time.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider

A local dealer has an 06 Honda TRX 90 on consignment. It would cost $1700 out the door. I know a Honda would be a good reliable unit but is a larger investment.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider
Arrow

My brother-in-law is going through the same thing. His 7 year old is outgrown his 50cc Kawasaki and his 13 year old outgrew his 90cc Polaris and that one got sold (he didn't keep it for the little one as it wasn't in that good of shape), and so he's wondering what to get them. I think the 13 year old would be fine with a 200-250 and the other one could handle 90-120.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider

Is the 13 year old much too big for the 90? I'd be happy to get 4 seasons out of a 90.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider
Arrow

I guess it depends on the size of the kid LOL. He claims he can drive his dad's 350 Polaris but I think that's just up and down the alley, not any real riding. Both him and his little brother are a bit chunky for their age but I know they looked a little big for them. Does/did anyone make a 125cc? That might be a better fit for what you're thinking of (I know they made 110cc 3 wheelers).

Old 03-22-2013, 02:32 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by keithert
A local dealer has an 06 Honda TRX 90 on consignment. It would cost $1700 out the door. I know a Honda would be a good reliable unit but is a larger investment.
And after 2 years of trouble free gas and go riding and you done with it, people will ring your phone of the hook to buy it for $1500 for there kid.

So your really only out $200. Not bad.

That $500 China ATV that will turn you in to a class "A" mechanic if you can find parts will be worth $200 if its still running but its going to have some long down time periods.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

The thing is the old beater China ATV we have has been largely trouble free. It's main issue is that it is ugly and has limited ground clearance. It runs like a champ though.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by keithert
Is the 13 year old much too big for the 90? I'd be happy to get 4 seasons out of a 90.
IMO, No. We raced 90's till 15 years old.
I've seen it 101 times. As soon as a kid gets big enough to throw the machine around (instead of the machine throwing him around) a parent gets a big idea and steps the kid up to a too big of machine.
Kudos for your concern on proper sizing.
FYI: tha AMA/ATVA and the ATV Safety Insitute guidelines::
Rider sitting on seat. Feet on floorbord/pegs with knees bent. Can use the foot brake without leaning.
Hands should be able to reach the bars with elbows bent. Fingers can reach and use the hand controls easily.
Maybe that'll help.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:48 AM
Pro Rider

On Saturday we went a looked at a used 08 Taotao 125G model and a 2000 Yamaha Breeze. I liked a lot about the Breeze but felt that it was a bit too big and had too much power for my son at this point. The Taotao only cost $475 and my son really liked it so we bought it. We'll see how it does and in another year or two get him something larger then. We took the unit out on the trails yesterday and it did well. We were in snow so he was revving the heck out of the engine to get traction at times. The engine seems to have held up to the abuse well. I did put Yamalube semi-synthetic oil in it right after we bought it.

His previous Panterra 90 is also running very well. I rode it for 25 minutes on Friday and it didn't miss a beat. Then after sitting for 2 days it started right up last night in the cold weather.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kids ATV buying dilema