Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

2000 e-ton thunder, no spark

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 12:46 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It's 10:30 PM and I just got home. Long day today (and a long week too). Please give me some more time. I'm going to have some dinner and go to bed...

Old 04-14-2012, 10:32 PM
Electrical Expert

First, I apologize for stringing you out for so long. I've been really busy at work, and this has got me a bit overwhelmed recently. My comments embedded below in blue...

Originally Posted by firefighter66255
yellow on blue connects to red on white which goes to a green unit on right side of ac generator unit. [Wow. I've gone back through all of the posts (this thread and the last thread), and I cannot piece together what you are saying. The problem at the end of my last post is that you have a yellow on blue wire at the CDI which we think is the trigger wire. The trigger signal comes from the stator, yet you don't have a yellow on blue wire at the stator. You have a white wire at the stator (from your post of 4/1/12) which by a process of elimination must be the trigger signal. Remember that we're talking about wire harness colors *only* - not the colors of short pigtail wires going into modules or components (see my post on 3/26 for details). So following the instructions you have reported that you have a white wire in the main harness leaving the stator/harness connector which is the trigger signal, and it arrives at the CDI as a yellow on blue. Wires don't change color in the middle of the wire harness, so it must go through something else first. Perhaps a kill switch, a rev limiter, or who knows what. If what you say is true then there must be another connector on the wiring harness with a white wire and a blue on yellow. That's what you need to find. But instead you report that the blue on yellow connects to red on white . Where does it do this? I hope you aren't talking about pigtail wire into the CDI? Where is this connector that does this transition? At the CDI? What is this green unit on the right side? Is it a connector? Is it a module of some sort? How many wires? WHat are the colors of the wires on the main wiring harness side of the connector?] White wire out of stator to a connector to red on white which goes to the rectifier & regulator which has black,red on yellow, red, red on white. [No. This is not what I asked you to do (if I understand you correctly). The mystery wire is the white wire in the "main harness" as you reported on 4/1/2012 - not any white pigtail wire coming out of the engine. So (again) if I understand you correctly you have a white pigtail wire emerging out of the stator, which transitions to a red on white wire in the main harness which comes back out at the regulator (still red on white of course). I got that. Where does the *white* wire in the *main harness* go?]
White(or lite gray) on black to white on green to connector which turns into two white on black which goes into handlebar switch [I don't understand this at all. You have a white on black wire entering the wire harness according to the post on 4/1. It must come out somewhere (still white on black of course). So where is that? And it transitions to white on green? Where? And then it transitions from this to two white on black? Where? All of this is happening in the main harness? I don't believe it. ]
I think that maybe we aren't communicating on even a fundamental level. I am asking about (and am only interested in) main wire harness colors. I don't care about any wire colors of pigtail wire into the CDI, or stator, or handlebar switches, or anything else. Our basic problem is that your quad isn't wired like the published diagram. Therefore we have to construct our own wiring diagram. It isn't all that hard. All the pigtail wires are visible, so the only mystery is the wiring harness connections which are all hidden in lots of tape. A mystery purple wire entering harness will come back out somewhere and still be purple. So we use that principle to trace out where things go. For example I see a purple wire enter the taped up harness and see that there is another purple wire coming out at the brake switch. It's an excellent bet that the first purple wire is the same wire and it has a lot to do with the brake circuitry. This scheme can be used to trace out the wiring wiring diagram without taking apart the taped up harness.

Going back through all of your posts (this thread and the last one) I'm getting the strong feeling that you have not grasped this very important concept. That being the difference of "wiring harness" colors and "pigtail colors". I think you're using those colors interchangeably, and without specifying which is which, which is leading to incredible confusion.

With pigtail colors there is no information to be learned. With harness colors there is information to be gained when we correlate one color in one location with the same color elswhere (because they will be the same wire).

Old 04-15-2012, 07:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thx, I did take brake switch apart. Now I half to twist the two wires together and try to start it, still no spark
not wanting to derail the train of thought because y'all and Lynn have a lot of work in on this, but what wires are you twisting together? i hope that ain't what is killing the spark. i'm not saying that we can't see the forest because of the trees, but i started rereading this thread and that seemed odd to me about those wires. just trying to get some clarification.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:51 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=LynnEdwards;3108354]First, I apologize for stringing you out for so long. I've been really busy at work, and this has got me a bit overwhelmed recently. My comments embedded below in blue...

I think that maybe we aren't communicating on even a fundamental level. I am asking about (and am only interested in) main wire harness colors. I don't care about any wire colors of pigtail wire into the CDI, or stator, or handlebar switches, or anything else. Our basic problem is that your quad isn't wired like the published diagram. Therefore we have to construct our own wiring diagram. It isn't all that hard. All the pigtail wires are visible, so the only mystery is the wiring harness connections which are all hidden in lots of tape. A mystery purple wire entering harness will come back out somewhere and still be purple. So we use that principle to trace out where things go. For example I see a purple wire enter the taped up harness and see that there is another purple wire coming out at the brake switch. It's an excellent bet that the first purple wire is the same wire and it has a lot to do with the brake circuitry. This scheme can be used to trace out the wiring wiring diagram without taking apart the taped up harness.

Going back through all of your posts (this thread and the last one) I'm getting the strong feeling that you have not grasped this very important concept. That being the difference of "wiring harness" colors and "pigtail colors". I think you're using those colors interchangeably, and without specifying which is which, which is leading to incredible confusion.

With pigtail colors there is no information to be learned. With harness colors there is information to be gained when we correlate one color in one location with the same color elswhere (because they will be the same wire
Lynn , I will go back and check wires out again and report back to you,

Old 04-16-2012, 08:53 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Jaster94
not wanting to derail the train of thought because y'all and Lynn have a lot of work in on this, but what wires are you twisting together? i hope that ain't what is killing the spark. i'm not saying that we can't see the forest because of the trees, but i started rereading this thread and that seemed odd to me about those wires. just trying to get some clarification.
Only when I twist and connect the brake stop wire , is the quad agle to crank, when wires are apart it does not crank

Old 04-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just un covered stator on right side of engine, it is full of dirt. Havent cleaned it yet to see if that is the problem. Will do that Thurs and post results
when you cleaned around the stator, did you see any surface rust on anything? any elements or metals? i presume all of the stator wiring is intact and not loose. right? does your quad have a tether kill switch at the rear of the quad or under the seat area? i saw where Lynn asked but i might've missed your reply. is your coil wire intact? i presume the spark plug ceramic doesn't have a crack in the insulator. FYI when sitting on a thread and waiting for a reply, hit F5 or refresh once every couple of minutes to see if there is a reply.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Trailblazer
Default 2000 THUNDER no spark

no tether kill, stator wire intact, cleaned rust from stator, new coil, new spark plug

Lynn, here is colors of wires in harness: harness on left side-white on red,white on green,white on black,yellow on green,white on blue,red,black : wires in main front harness-white on black,blue on white,black,red on white,red on yellow,red,black,black on yellow,white on black,brown : wires from stator-red on black,red on white,red on yellow black,white

Old 04-23-2012, 12:13 AM
Electrical Expert

On April 1 you posted a list of wire colors for 7 different connectors: CDI, Stator, Ignition coil, Brake Switch, Left Handlebar Switch, Solenoid, and Ignition Switch. This was really something. Most of the wiring was there, and starting to make sense. There was a question about a couple wires. Since then things have degrading into nothingness.

Your last post now talks about three connectors: Front, left side, and stator. This is a far cry from the seven connectors from before. From your information I determine that a wire goes from the stator to the front of the quad, or another wire goes from the front to the side. So what? This doesn't help me at all...

Again, I don't think you've grasped the underlying strategy here. It really helps me to know that a yellow wire (just for an example) in the harness goes from the CDI connector to to the stator connector. It really helps me to know that a pink (or some other color) wire goes from the ignition switch connector to the brake switch connector.

It does not help me at all to say there is a wire going from the front of the quad to the side (which is all I can deduce from your info). From WHAT connector in the front of the quad? To WHAT connector on the side? I'm trying to establish a "function" to each wire color as well as determine where it goes. I need to knwo what it hooks up to at each end.

I can't be there to help you do this. You have to take the initiative. Without clear and accurate data I cannot help you...

Old 04-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Trailblazer
Default 2000,thunder no spark

First of all, I am very sorry about my inability to make sense of exactly what you need. Maybe im get mixed up about pigtails vs connecters. As I try to understand your last message, you are asking for colors of wires and where going, not nesseccarly what they are when they get to the final part ie: cdi. Sometimes when the wire gets close to the individual part ie; cdi, the cdi might have on or two different colors leading into that part. Please be patient with me. I am 55 yrs old, college grad, retired from the fire dept. and think that I have common sense. My son really wants me to get this going. We just dont have the money to send this to a mechanic to get fixed. I really appreciate your help. I know I cant get the info you need sooner or later. Hopefully sooner.
Thx again

Old 04-24-2012, 11:00 PM
Electrical Expert

If you go back to your post of 04/01/12 and use that a guideline then I think we can figure it out. I still have the wiring diagram I started from the colors you listed, and a lot of them make sense. For example you listed a blue on white at the CDI, and you listed a blue on white at the ignition coil connector too. I know that the output pin of the CDI goes to the primary of the ignition coil. Bingo. The blue on white is the CDI output. I draw that wire into the diagram. Many of the other wire colors you reported translate into the new wiring diagram too.

But a couple of those wires don't make sense yet (as outlined in my response immediatey after your post). One possibility is that you used pigtail colors for some wires and not the harness colors. Another possibility is that the wire/signal in question gets from the source to the destination via another module. Another kill switch perhaps, or who knows what. You don't need to worry about that, you only need to report the wire colors in the harness correctly.

So right now the important thing to do is get/verify the harness colors for each of the seven connectors you did before, and also add the 4 pin voltage regulator connector too. So that's eight connectors now.

I'm not understanding the part about the "cdi might have one or two different colors leading into that part". If the CDI has five pins I would expect that there would be 5 colors leading to that part from the wiring harness side. Can you take some pictures of this?

Quick Reply: 2000 e-ton thunder, no spark