Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

2000 e-ton thunder, no spark

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've got the same problem on the same bike. We dad the problem a while ago and I got a heap of advice from LE however between one thing and another the bike was left in the corner of the shed.

We hauled it out last weekend and the plug was sparking right away so the bike started and ran fine for a couple of days.

Now we can't get a spark again. We've been checking stop switches and connectors but still no joy.

JF

Old 04-03-2012, 12:41 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by firefighter66255
Lynn Edwards, I hope this makes sense. Wires feeding CDI-blue on white, black,white on black,red on black,yellow on blue/ Out of right side of engine(stator area I think?)-red on white,red on yellow,black,white,red on black/ Coil-blue on white,black/Brake switch-yellow on green,brown/Starter switch,horn,on & off switch-black,pink,yellow,black on yellow,white on blue,red on yellow,black on white,white on green/Solinoid-red,white on red,white on blue,yellow on green/Ignition-black on white,black,brown,red
Again, I hope this makes sense. I will be waiting to here from you , thx
I am working on this. I've got a diagram sketch started, and most of it makes sense. There are two pairs of wires that should connect, but don't. And both are related to spark. I suspect there are other connectors/modules involved. Do you have a tether pull cord kill switch? Do you have a remote start/stop module?

I'm probably going to need you to do some more wiring color documenting. We've got to find where those wires that should connect (but don't) go. I give your problem first bill tomorrow evening...

Old 04-03-2012, 11:40 PM
Electrical Expert

Lynn Edwards, I hope this makes sense. Wires feeding CDI-blue on white, black,white on black,red on black,yellow on blue/ Out of right side of engine(stator area I think?)-red on white,red on yellow,black,white,red on black/ Coil-blue on white,black/Brake switch-yellow on green,brown/Starter switch,horn,on & off switch-black,pink,yellow,black on yellow,white on blue,red on yellow,black on white,white on green/Solinoid-red,white on red,white on blue,yellow on green/Ignition-black on white,black,brown,red
Again, I hope this makes sense. I will be waiting to here from you , thx
From your wire list I have started to piece together a wire diagram. Most of it is making sense, but there are four wires that don't quite fit yet:

1) White on Black at the CDI
2) Yellow on Bue at the CDI
3) White at the Stator
4) White on Green at the handlebar switch

At the CDI there are two needed functions that aren't hooked up to where they need to go in this new diagram yet:

A) Run/Kill signal
B) Timing Trigger Signal

At the Stator there is one function that isn't hooked up in the new diagram:

C) Timing Trigger Signal

At the handlebar switch there is one function missing in the new diagram:

D) Run/Kill signal

It seems logical to just connect the timing trigger signals together (probably the yellow on blue, and the white wires), and the Run/Kill wires (probably White on Black, and White on Green). But that is not how wiring harnesses work. The yellow on blue wire at the CDI enters the wiring harness, and it comes out somewhere else still yellow on blue. Logically it needs to be connected to the stator (white wire), so this signal must be going through something else first. Perhaps another kill switch, a remote start/stop module, or something else entirely.

We need to find that yellow on blue wire, and the white wire too. Search every connector on the quad. Find out where that yellow on blue wire goes. That yellow on blue wire comes out back out of the harness somewhere... Once you find it, then report back what it connects to.

Ditto for the white wire, and White on black, and the White on Green (the other three mystery wires). Once we establish where these wires go the ignition portion of the wiring harness should be complete.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:57 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by james feeney
We've got the same problem on the same bike. We dad the problem a while ago and I got a heap of advice from LE however between one thing and another the bike was left in the corner of the shed.

We hauled it out last weekend and the plug was sparking right away so the bike started and ran fine for a couple of days.

Now we can't get a spark again. We've been checking stop switches and connectors but still no joy.

JF
Intermittents are always rough. It means you can only use test results that are obtained while the quad is not working. Often that means you have to test for spark, make a measurement, and test for spark again. The test measurement is only valid only if you didn't have spark both times (before and after the test). Even then you can get fooled. Decisions based on erroneous data can compound the problem further.

I think this is the last post regarding your problems:

http://forums.atvconnection.com/kids...-gremlins.html

I would definately do those tests in the last section.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Trailblazer
Default 2000 thunder no spark

I just un covered stator on right side of engine, it is full of dirt. Havent cleaned it yet to see if that is the problem. Will do that Thurs and post results

Old 04-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Trailblazer

I cleaned stator but still no spark. I was hoping this would work but did not

Old 04-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I cleaned stator but still no spark. I was hoping this would work but did not
time for the multimeter/ohm meter to work some OverTime

Old 04-10-2012, 12:10 PM
Trailblazer

yellow on blue connects to red on white which goes to a green unit on right side of ac generator unit. White wire out of stator to a connector to red on white which goes to the rectifier & regulator which has black,red on yellow, red, red on white.
White(or lite gray) on black to white on green to connector which turns into two white on black which goes into handlebar switch

Old 04-12-2012, 11:35 PM
Electrical Expert

Dang, this slipped right by me. I'm so busy these days that I haven't been diligent enough in making sure I don't miss things.

Let me analyze your post and I will respond first priority tomorrow evening...

Old 04-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Trailblazer

Lynn Edwards, Thx for responding. Ill be waiting to here from you.

Quick Reply: 2000 e-ton thunder, no spark