Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

E-ton 90 cc atv with no spark

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-ton 90 cc atv with no spark

I have a 2000 e-ton 90 Thunder atv that is not getting a spark. I took out the plug and grounded it and then tried to start it, no spark. New battey and starter. I had it running for a little while adjusting the carb then it shut down. It also has a new top end so it should have good compression. Please help. Also what is a good rule of thumb in adjusting the carb. The carb is new. Please help.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

1 1/2 turns on idle air screw and middle or one above on needle. i'm having same trouble out of a 2000 yxl150 done replaced all electrical components. Blows fuse with new cdi and no spark with old cdi but fuse doesnt blow. go figure.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:17 AM
Trailblazer

ohm the stator and see what it's at... the spark doesn't come from the battery or starter. it's powered by the stator.

I have a spare motor just sitting I could ohm mine and let you know what mine reads. my motor in the bike has a PVL ignition so that'll be no help but I think the spare motor stator is still good so I could tell you what it's supposed to read if so

a dmm with an ohm option is what you need to check the stator coil

Old 10-16-2010, 05:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default you quad

Originally Posted by firefighter66255
I have a 2000 e-ton 90 Thunder atv that is not getting a spark. I took out the plug and grounded it and then tried to start it, no spark. New battey and starter. I had it running for a little while adjusting the carb then it shut down. It also has a new top end so it should have good compression. Please help. Also what is a good rule of thumb in adjusting the carb. The carb is new. Please help.
treat your quad like your car....no spark? why buy a new starter if it was turning over? was the plug in good shape? color of tip, no cracked insulation....check for continuity on wiring on CDI, check any fuses if applicable around battery.....read the sticky in the chinese section about chinese carb adjustments====it's a good read and will help you out alot.

here's a hyperlink to all things Eton with troubleshooting charts cause/effect charts. find your model OR click around everything.......it's good info....let us know..........

http://www.anythingatv.com/Technical/Owners_Manuals.htm

Old 10-16-2010, 10:02 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Jaster94
treat your quad like your car....no spark? why buy a new starter if it was turning over? was the plug in good shape? color of tip, no cracked insulation....check for continuity on wiring on CDI, check any fuses if applicable around battery.....read the sticky in the chinese section about chinese carb adjustments====it's a good read and will help you out alot.

here's a hyperlink to all things Eton with troubleshooting charts cause/effect charts. find your model OR click around everything.......it's good info....let us know..........

Owners Manuals
Thank you for your response, I had to buy a starter because the old one was froze it was had to kick for my little boy

Old 10-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Trailblazer

Thank you for your response, I had to buy a starter because the old one was froze it was had to kick for my little boy
Also what is the C.D.I. unit

Old 10-16-2010, 10:36 AM
Trailblazer

Also where is the sticky about chinese carb adjustment

Old 10-16-2010, 07:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

here's the sticky....

http://forums.atvconnection.com/chin...-sunl-etc.html

LynnEdwards has several write ups about CDIs and their function, in detail. here's one of them. several more in the chinese section...........

http://forums.atvconnection.com/chin...es-stator.html

Old 10-16-2010, 09:27 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Also what is the C.D.I. unit
CDI = [C]apacitive [D]ischarge [I]gnition.

The CDI operation is sort of similar in operation to a standard american flush toilet:

In a toilet the storage tank fills up slowly over time from a high pressure low volume inlet line. At the proper time you wiggle a small handle and [whoosh] the entire storage tank gets dumped into the bowl. This burst of water flow gets the required job done.

The CDI uses a high voltage low current power source from the stator to fill up a storage capacitor over time. Then at the proper time the stator wiggles a small signal voltage to the CDI and [bzzzzzzt] the entire contents of the storage capacitor is dumped onto the coil primary. This burst of current is used by the coil to make the spark.

The idea is this: Store up energy over time, then dump it all at once at the proper time. Of course the CDI has to charge up and dump up to 70 times per second, while your toilet takes about 20 seconds to cycle once, but the principle is the same.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:02 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 2000 e-ton 90 Thunder atv that is not getting a spark. I took out the plug and grounded it and then tried to start it, no spark. New battey and starter...
According to the published wiring diagram for your quad, Etons are a little different than generic Chinese when it comes to CDIs. The kill switch connection (black/white wire) must be grounded to run, and open to kill spark. This is backwards from a generic chinese cdi, which must be open to run and ground to kill spark.

Note that I have never seen an Eton quad - I'm just looking at published wiring diagrams, using my electronics knowledge to analyze what I see, and relying on info from other forum posts. This isn't the same as real practical experince. But it is the best I can do.

Try this:

Unplug the CDI, turn on the ignition switch and set your "stop" switch in the "run" position. In your wiring harness measure the resistance of the kill switch pin to ground. What do you measure? It should read zero ohms. Set "stop" switch in the stop position. Repeat the resistance measurement. What do you measure? You should see an open connection (infinite resistance).

Kill switch circuitry seems the most likely cause of your no spark problem. If not, the next step will be to measure the CDI ignition power source from the stator, then the timing trigger signal voltage. There are some things we can't measure (such as the coil breakdown voltage). But a lot of things can be measured, and we can use this measured info to eliminate or identify simple things (and even some non simple things). Start with the simple stuff, then escalate up from there...

Quick Reply: E-ton 90 cc atv with no spark