Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Sundiro 90 weird starting thing, lol.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sundiro 90 weird starting thing, lol.

Hey everyone, this is my first post, or thread..not sure what its called. I have a weird question, bear with me on this it may be long but I really appreciate your time. I have a sundiro 90cc atv. I recently took it from sitting behind my garage with the intent to get it running again. Let me add here it has been sitting for 3 years, haha. Well to make this shorter, I have had some success. The first time i tried, it kicked over but then didn't do it again. About 6 hours later, I tried again and this time it started and ran for about 7 seconds then died. I started it again and it died. Now this morning I tried and the first kick it acted like it was gonna start but didn't, and hasnt done it again. Now I've done some research on this, and I've run a few tests. For example, I have narrowed it down to the spark plug not sparking consistantly and/or not strong enough, that's what i believe it is, but my dad on the other hand thinks its something with the carb. The plug is a little wet when I took it to examine it. I think its electrical because the first few times the plug seems to spark fine, then it won't start, then I check the plug, then it either doesn't spark or barely sparks..The carb has been cleaned, but I could do it again. I've read that it could be the coil, the CDI box, or the stator. My question is, how do I go about testing each one to find out what it is? I found a thread on another site that told me which wires...etc, but i'm not sure how to use the ohmmeter. Or does it sound like a gas flow problem to you? I'm stumped here, any help is truly appreciated.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Trailblazer

UPDATE----

I went outside today and was working on it and took the air thing off and put some gas directly into the carb. And voila! It started up and ran for a few seconds. So then, thinking it was luck, I repeated the process about 4 times. Each time, the atv started and ran, and it seemed like it ran for about how much gas i put in the carb. So turns out it seems to be a carb problem, probably clogged. Apparently clogged on the fuel intake side. So i guess i'll clean it again. Any way in particular i should go about it? Does the carb spray work? If not I guess i'll take it all off then soak it or something.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

In my experience, the carb spray cleaner will not do a sufficient job cleaning a carb that has sat for that long. I have never boiled a carb and can't say whether that works or not. the best way to do it in the garage at home is to soak the carb body and brass parts in a can of dip available at most auto parts stores.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Trailblazer

paul thank you very much for responding. i have a few questions for you actually. I will probably take the carb off and clean it that way, but where can I spray the carb cleaner in the carb? Can I spray it in any open hole on the carb? Also, when you say the brass parts and all that, do I have to take the carb apart or can I just put the whole thing in a bucket of carb cleaner soak stuff? I'm a noob with all this and i'm learning as i'm going. thank you very much for your help.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by SundiroSunray90
paul thank you very much for responding. i have a few questions for you actually. I will probably take the carb off and clean it that way, but where can I spray the carb cleaner in the carb? Can I spray it in any open hole on the carb? Also, when you say the brass parts and all that, do I have to take the carb apart or can I just put the whole thing in a bucket of carb cleaner soak stuff? I'm a noob with all this and i'm learning as i'm going. thank you very much for your help.

You will need to take everything apart. both jets main and piolt and float and float valve. Also remove the mixture screw but before you remove it turn it all the the way in counting the turns till it bottoms out. Dont force it just till it bottoms. you can spray carb cleaner in any and all holes.

Tom

Old 04-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Trailblazer

Tom,

Thank you for responding. I will try using the spray in the fuel intake and everywhere else I can find first. I have limited mechanical skills and would rather not take anything apart if I don't have to. However if I do have to, then I will do it and learn. But I would like to try the spray first. If I put enough gas in the carb it will run good and idle as well, I had it idling for about 10 seconds today. But the new gas will not enter the carb it seems. Everything else seems to be working good. So i'm hoping the spray will be enough to unclog whatever (if anything) is clogging the intake. Also I will try to use air to help clean out the intake as well.
Thanks for responding.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:13 AM
Trailblazer

ok everyone i got a new question. i've been reading how to clean the carb. now my problem is that fresh fuel from the tank won't get thru to the engine. is this a clogged jet? Or something with the float? I'm not sure.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Trailblazer

UPDATE---

I went back out today and took the carb off. i took the plunge, and im glad i did. so far its been fun learning how to do all this. but now the test. everything looked clean in there....but yet gas wouldnt flow. so i took the float off and cleaned the intake good. now gas will flow through. after im done eating here im gonna go back and put it all back together. wish me luck.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Trailblazer

Hey everyone! Good news and not so good news! Good news: i got the quad started and running pretty good! I was even testing it out while riding it around the yard lol. Thanks to all who helped me.

However...there is a bit of bad news. I was tinkering with the idle screw and i apparently popped the spark plug boot off the plug, therefore shutting the machine down. I have been unable to start it since. I checked, and there is no spark. SO...lol. I figured i'd start with a new plug. Could the old one(which was two years old, BUT i never used it) go bad? I mean I would imagine running a machine after 2 years of sitting would be hard on a plug, but could it just go like that? Also I was going to buy a new ignition coil, as the boot is loose on the spark plug. Could a loose boot be the cause? Or could I have messed up some electrical thing by bumping the boot while it was running? I checked all connections underneath and they seem to be fine.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Glad to hear you got it goin! There is some discussion in other threads about the removeable terminal on the end of a spark plug. If thats missing and the plug boot is made to fit the large terminal, it may not be running. If that boot is just loose it may not start. Although, more than likely, its probably a fouled plug. Replace it and see if it has spark. It is always good to have an extra plug. The spark plug boot is cheap and easy to replace also, in case you need to replace it with one that has not become loose.

Quick Reply: Sundiro 90 weird starting thing, lol.