Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Help with Kids Quad!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettLT230
Is the LT80 a good size for a smaller 3 year old. Do you think your daughter would fit on one (as she seems the size of my daughter) Definitly would look into one if they are the right size!!!
The LT80 isnt very fast in stock trim and can be throttled down to a crawl with the adjustable screw but its physically more suited for a 7 to 9 year old on up.

My sons has been warmed over and he can eat me for lunch in the yard on his.....love the sound of a wound up 2 stroke....good stuff.

Here is a comparison.

This is my 8 year old, 100lb son next to his LT80.

Here are all 3 of us on our quads.....

My daughter at 4 yrs and about 22 lbs on her Kazuma Wombat 50cc.....me at 30 yrd old and 315 lbs on my Honda Foutrax 200 (my yard quad cause its small enough to be thrashed in the yard).....my son at 8yrs old and 100lbs on his Suzuki LT80

Here he is setting on it.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

The LT50 would be a far better choice then the LT80.....but I still think the Kazuma is the way to go if you have a child on the smaller side. The Kazuma is smaller then the LT50.....not by much, an inch here.....two inches there......but when your 3yrs old those few inches make a difference. Also your going to be into a brand new Kazuma for $600. At this age almost anything you buy is going to be a yard quad.....so going on the cheaper side doesnt have the same detriments that doing so on the bigger quads does.

The LT50 is a great machine and is worth the asking price (full suspension, aftermarket support, etc).....but for me it was overkill. My daughter wont be on it enough to justify the extra cost and I have plenty of slightly bigger quads for her - I just need the Kazuma for a couple years tops.

My buddy has had a Kazuma Meerkat for over 5 years......passed down thru 4 kids and still runs great......they are good machines by Chinese standards.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by aaronrkelly
The LT50 would be a far better choice then the LT80.....but I still think the Kazuma is the way to go if you have a child on the smaller side. The Kazuma is smaller then the LT50.....not by much, an inch here.....two inches there......but when your 3yrs old those few inches make a difference. Also your going to be into a brand new Kazuma for $600. At this age almost anything you buy is going to be a yard quad.....so going on the cheaper side doesnt have the same detriments that doing so on the bigger quads does.

The LT50 is a great machine and is worth the asking price (full suspension, aftermarket support, etc).....but for me it was overkill. My daughter wont be on it enough to justify the extra cost and I have plenty of slightly bigger quads for her - I just need the Kazuma for a couple years tops.

My buddy has had a Kazuma Meerkat for over 5 years......passed down thru 4 kids and still runs great......they are good machines by Chinese standards.
I hope you didn't think I was sayin yours was not a good choice. Like I said my daughter is very tall for her age and she fit the lt50 very well at 3 but most kids her age wouldn't. I will disagree though on just bein a yard quad though cause last summer she was ridin trails and small hills in the woods like a pro. And again not to brag but she does seem pretty advanced for her age but she is a farm girl and they have to learn a little quicker. Basically what I am sayin is you have to use a little common sence to know what your kid is ready for! My nephew is 3 months older than my daughter and I don't know if he will ever be ready. I would say you need to put them on something that is appropriately sized for them physically!

Old 02-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

This is my daughter last winter at 3. She will be 4 this march 21.
Name:  101_0284.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  154.6 KB
Name:  101_0292.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  180.6 KB
[IMG]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/BUSHWACKER379/101_0297.jpg[/IMG
This is her quad

Old 02-22-2010, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Bushwacker379
I hope you didn't think I was sayin yours was not a good choice. Like I said my daughter is very tall for her age and she fit the lt50 very well at 3 but most kids her age wouldn't. I will disagree though on just bein a yard quad though cause last summer she was ridin trails and small hills in the woods like a pro. And again not to brag but she does seem pretty advanced for her age but she is a farm girl and they have to learn a little quicker. Basically what I am sayin is you have to use a little common sence to know what your kid is ready for! My nephew is 3 months older than my daughter and I don't know if he will ever be ready. I would say you need to put them on something that is appropriately sized for them physically!
No I didnt think that at all......there are plenty of quads out there and what works great for one kid may not for another. My daughter is VERY small for her age....shes in the 18th percentile for height and weight - shes very wee. The extra inches here and there quickly marked the LT50 off the list.

Its great you have your daughter out trail riding so early but in my limited experience thats not usually the norm. Most of these 50cc machines spend their life in the yard, field etc. If your trail riding then the LT50 is a far superior choice then the Kazuma......the LT50 really is a miniature real quad where, as I believe, the Kazuma is a yard toy. Not saying the Kazuma is weak or not capable......believe someone earlier in this thread said there young one was out hitting jumps and riding trails with it......just saying the LT50 is setup better for the task of trail riding then the Kazuma.

Also I make it a point not to spend serious money on quads until they are going to be riding them for awhile. My son rode the China wheeler for a year....then on to the LT80.....he will be moving up again soon. I tried to make each of these steps cost me as little as possible while still getting a safe and capable machine. The LT80 was bought used with a fresh motor for $750.....and I bought a hopped up LT80 with a busted motor for $100 on Craigslist......swapped the stuff over and bam.....fresh LT80 with all the goodies for $850 and I have an entire quads worth of spare parts as well. The Kazuma was $600 new. The upgrade path is cheap.....now we are looking for his next quad - which he MAY upgrade into this year, next year at the most.

This last quad, if bought right, will be the last one *I* buy him....and he will get many years out of it....Im thinking Honda 250ex or Honda Recon, Suzuki Ozark......but in the end its up to him.

The LT50s arent as plentiful in *MY* area (which I realize varies) so my selection was slim....basically one was going to run me $1500 unless I wanted the old body style. I dont buy my kids new stuff but I try for used but nice so the old body style wasnt on my list.

I couldnt see spending $1500 for what MY needs were. Your needs require a "real" quad and I could see you putting the LT50 to use.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

AaronKelly's pic of the cute lil gal on her ride is so awsome!!!
A great example of how a child should fit a machine.
Notice she's sitting down and touching the pegs. All controls are easily reached.
Looks safe don't it...Cuz it is!!

A LT80 should not be considered. Anything above 50cc's should not be considered.
It's not about durability or cost. It's about common sence and safety.

Edit:: Just seen new pics.. Again PROPER SIZED MACHINE.....These kids are having fun.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Totally agreed with both. A quad that is to big physically will get them hurt quick!
Oh and I think the daddys have just as much fun watchin them!

Old 02-23-2010, 07:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

My suggestion would be to take the child around and let her sit on different ones till you find one that is suited for her. And there is no price on their safety they need all the safety gear to go along with it neckbrace and all! You can't shelter them or totally protect them but you can do your best with the proper safety gear and get them used to wearing at a young age so it is just second nature to have it on. My kids get mad at me but they don't even start it unless their helmet is on!

Old 02-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the replies and pics. I am going to go ahead and pursue the Kazuma 50CC. I am a big fan of american quads, but I am more concerned with her safety than the name on the plastic. That size should allow her to properly reach all controlls. I will get her all safety equitment there is. I appreciate everyone's help on this. This forum has proved a life saver for any issues I have had......................

Old 02-23-2010, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by BrettLT230
Thanks for all the replies and pics. I am going to go ahead and pursue the Kazuma 50CC. I am a big fan of american quads, but I am more concerned with her safety than the name on the plastic. That size should allow her to properly reach all controlls. I will get her all safety equitment there is. I appreciate everyone's help on this. This forum has proved a life saver for any issues I have had......................

When looking for one to buy online I found HUGE price swings.....from $650 on up to $800 for the same ATV. I wish I could remember where I bought from....but I had $675 in a pink one (they charge $25 more for pink).

The only thing I recommend when you get it is to drain the cheap shipping oil out and put some decent oil in it. Run it for awhile then change it again.......for break-in purposes.

Also they put some gel pac in the fuel bowl on these ATVs for shipping sometimes - not sure the rhyme or reasons. The general consensus is that upon starting for the first time let them run for awhile.....dont just shut it right off. I didnt have a problem with mine......but its something that comes up occasionally.

Quick Reply: Help with Kids Quad!!