Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Chinese ATV rear axle problems

Old 08-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chinese ATV rear axle problems

Hi
I have gone thru 3 axles in 3 weeks. The new axles that are supplied look to be defective. 2 of them have had the shaft sticking out way more one 1 side than the other, and have been loose. When I try to gently tap the shaft back in, the seal pops out.
The last axle I got, everything was in place, so after I put it together, the hub of the sprocket holding the chain was rubbing against the seal, and wore it out in 3 minutes.
What holds the shaft in the housing?
Does anyone have a picture of their whole assembly, from wheel to wheel?

Thanks for any info.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:39 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum RickandMarlene!

What size/brand quad do you have? I have a few different sized ones i could take a picture of.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi
It is a Gio Mini Hummer 110cc. It is at the lake. I can take a couple of pictures and post them if that would help.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:46 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Ive got a 90cc Utility that is probably real close.....mine uses the axle tubes and the wheel hubs to center the axle in the housing..Here are a few pics of its axle...

Attached Thumbnails Chinese ATV rear axle problems-mini-quad-axle-001.jpg   Chinese ATV rear axle problems-mini-quad-axle-002.jpg   Chinese ATV rear axle problems-mini-quad-axle-004.jpg   Chinese ATV rear axle problems-mini-quad-axle-005.jpg  
Old 08-07-2009, 09:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi
The last picture is pretty close to what I wanted to see. On mine, the inside of the hub on the sprocket is riding up against the seal. That is because there are a number of washers that are against the wheel hub, that keeps everything tight. This also pushes the sprocket hub up against the seal, which chews that up in no time flat. I am wondering if I take the washers out, is the sit on the splines and be only held in place by the tension of the spring?
This will also make the sleeve between the sprocket and the wheel rattle back and forth.
Thanks for the pictures!
Rick

Old 08-07-2009, 09:29 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Do you need me to take another one from a slightly different angle? I would try a few variations of washer/spacers til you get it right...or at least better than it is.. A little rattle isnt a big deal but to much and the whole axle will be able to move side to side..also..Are you sure you have the sprocket hub on correctly? It could have more seal clearance on one side than the other..

Your Welcome..

Old 08-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi
Is the inside of your sprocket hub up against anything? If so, what? If not, what keeps it in place? I am going to the lake tonight, and will post some pictures on Monday.
Thanks for all the info.
Rick

Old 08-07-2009, 02:14 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Im not sure if its up against the inside race of the bearing...or up against the shoulder on one side of the axle...Ill take it apart this weekend and take some pics of it for you..

Old 08-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Trailblazer

some of these axels need to be tightend slowly and evenly from both sides(at the axel nuts). the axle will slide to one side or another if you do not do this. it is the even centered pinch of the axel nuts that keep everything centered and from rubbing or damaging stuff. just a thought. seth 03

Old 08-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Trailblazer

RickandMarlene

Here are a few Pics of a Gio 110 Hummer Rearend.

Hope these help.
Dave

Attached Thumbnails Chinese ATV rear axle problems-franks-110-4.jpg   Chinese ATV rear axle problems-franks-110-5.jpg   Chinese ATV rear axle problems-franks-110-6.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chinese ATV rear axle problems