Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Gio 110cc Quad - No power to starter

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gio 110cc Quad - No power to starter

I bought a new Gio 110C quad for my son last year. It ran great all year. We just started it for the first time this year. The battery was low so I hooked up a booster charger. The quad started, idled for about 30 seconds, then died. When I started it again, something in the ignition system made a funny noise (kind of sounded like the starter locking up). Now the starter will not turn over. When I press the start switch all I hear is a single click. The click noise is coming from the relay that is connected to the battery (it has the heavier gauge wire connected to it). There is 12.7V across the battery and 12.7V across the relay. When I press the start switch I do not get closed circuit across the relay and I read 0V at the starter. I think the relay is fried but I only know a little bit about electrical so I am not sure. How can I tell for sure or is this assumption wrong altogeather? Where would I buy a replacement relay?

Old 04-10-2011, 01:30 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Set the brake, and make sure you are in neutral. You are about to bypass the starter motor safety interlocks. You don't want to start up your quad in gear and have it get away from you...

Turn on the ignition switch and set any and all the kill switches to the 'run' position. Short the two screw terminals together on the starter solenoid (or relay - the thing that goes "click") using the shank of a screwdriver. Don't mind a few sparks.

Does the starter motor turn? Does the quad start? If so your solenoid is bad. Just about any quad solenoid will work in its place as long as it can be mounted mechanically.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Lynn. It was definitly the starter solenoid. I touched the two wires togeather and the quad started. Got a new solenoid installed and quad works fine.

For anyone's future information, both my brother and I fried these starter solenoids doing the exact same thing. The battery was low, we hooked up a battery charger to start the quad, and fried the solenoid. I don't think these starter circuits can take any higher than 10 amps so when the battery is dead or low they need to either be trickle charged or limited to a 10amp charge or you will fry the starter solenoid.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rhoar
Thanks Lynn. It was definitly the starter solenoid. I touched the two wires togeather and the quad started. Got a new solenoid installed and quad works fine.

For anyone's future information, both my brother and I fried these starter solenoids doing the exact same thing. The battery was low, we hooked up a battery charger to start the quad, and fried the solenoid. I don't think these starter circuits can take any higher than 10 amps so when the battery is dead or low they need to either be trickle charged or limited to a 10amp charge or you will fry the starter solenoid.
trickle charge the battery, 2 amps!