Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Harsh LT80 suspension

Old 08-02-2008, 01:52 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harsh LT80 suspension

I have two LT80s. I broke a shock on my daughters quad and needed a replacement. The stockers were over $100 each. I poked around the threads for alternatives figuring that I could probably find something cheaper and I probably couldn't find anything that performed worse than stock. The Predator 90 shocks were mentioned and I found them for under $50 each. Someone also mentioned Kasea Skyhawk 90 shocks. I found those for $80 each and they shipped factory direct. That was the clincher for me as we are heading to the dunes next week. So I got them 2nd day air and got them installed.

That quad had been a bit lower than the other and had quite a bit of negative camber. The new Kasea shocks raised it up about an inch to slightly positive camber. The coils are much longer with 3 position adjustments. I set them on softest setting. The ride is much nicer with 5 inches of travel vs. 2 inches from stock (measured at front bumper). I had my boy ride it as he is much more agressive and he jumped it a couple of times. It was alot less bouncy on the landings and the ride settled the suspension to pretty much neutral. I am really suprised at how much better they are.

I am not suggesting that they are as good as Works or other aftermarket shocks but they are a cheaper and they work several times better than the stock Suzuki shocks. My boy is the hot dog and is getting all googly eyed about some new shocks for his now. I know the Works set up is the bees knees but I can't bring myself to spending that kind of money on my own quad let alone theirs. What have others tried and with what results? What about the rears?

Old 08-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for the info. Can you PM me where you got them? Can't bring myself to spend more on 2 front shocks than I have in the whole quad [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Any luck on a cheap rear replacement?

Otis

Old 08-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Range Rover

I got them from kaseaparts.com. From what I have heard so far, nothing just drops in place like the fronts did. Dirtbike rear shock off an 80, but a mount needs to be fabricated is one that I have heard. Also a rear off of a LT160. But that is what I am looking for too. Something a little bit softer and with more travel.

I forgot to mention that I did have to grind off about 1/16" off of the bushings inside the rubber eyelets. No big deal you could file off that much if you dont have a grinder.