Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Kazuma Falcon 90 Deluxe - no spark!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kazuma Falcon 90 Deluxe - no spark!!

I am "guessing" at this point that it "should" only be the magneto bad.

In theory, the magneto, when the engine is turning, is what supplies the intermitten voltage to the CDI box which in turn sends that to the coil to be made a spark.

I pulled the plug off of the CDI which has 5 wires on it, 2 come from the magneto, 1 goes to the coil, 1 goes to ground, and 1 goes to the kill switch. With this unplugged, I used a volt meter to see what the volrage was from the 2 magneto wires as I turned over the engine. While turning over strong, I got only 0.12 volts going to the CDI from the magneto, and I know there is no way this is strong enough to make a spark. I am told it should be reading up near 8.0 to 10.0 volts.

So, my best guess is the magneto, what else could it be? I do not know how this would go bad but I "think" it has gone bad.

If you could test 1 thing for me before and after you change the magneto, it would greatly help me alot!

Before changing the magneto.....Pull off the plug to the CDI and look at the position of the five wires, you should see 2 rows of 3 holes with one of them being empty (no wire) which is the middle hole on what we will refer to as the TOP of the plug. With the ignition on and not cranking, check to see if there is any voltage in the bottom middle wire (kill switch) and let me know if there is or is not. Now, while cranking the engine over, check and see what the voltage is on the top left and bottom right wire in the plug, these are the two magneto wires, please let me know what voltage you see on them!

After you change the magneto........please check the voltage on the two magneto wires on the plug while cranking and please let me know what they read!

I would greatly appreciate if you could do this as this would save me from buying a magneto and this would show me if mine was bad or not.

Thank you greatly in advance,

Steve

Old 11-02-2007, 11:25 AM
Trailblazer

I will do that. I'll probably be working on it Saturday morning. I'll let you know what I find out.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

this is a common problem on the 90 and 110 cc atvs that the magneto or pick up coil go bad they come as a whole assy. i have tore into many of these units and it is a easy task and you may find when you get it apart that the wires inside the case have been rubbed through where they where rubbing against the flywheel

Old 11-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wings36,

I hope you are up and running right now with your son......

Did all go well, was it the magneto?

Steve

Old 11-05-2007, 07:07 AM
Trailblazer

I wish the bike was running!! At this point I have a very disappointed son, a box of extra parts, and a bike that has no spark!!!

Let me recap what has happened so far. After receiving the bike, my boy had probably a week of riding before it just decided to quit. After checking the bike over, I found that it had no spark. (The spark plug was swapped out first thing for a NGK so I knew it wasn't the plug) After speaking with John, I was sent a new coil and cdi box. Both of these did nothing. I removed the kill switch on the side of the bike, which is nothing but removing extra wire. I also removed the kill switch in the rear. NOTHING!! I spoke with john a second time and was sent another cdi box and a magneto. I checked the cdi box first since it was the easiest to check and it did nothing. I checked the wires that you wanted me to check and I have no reading via volt meter from them. The only wire that registers anything while crankin the engine is the black and red wire which is in the bottom middle of the connector I believe. But the reading I get off of that wire is speratic. So I decided to swap the magento but the magneto that John sent did not have a wireharness; just individual connectors. So I had to go to the hardware store and buy all new connectors to wire it up. (I was hoping this would be a good thing since I was eliminating one of the cheap plugs) After hookin it up - NOTHING!! At this point I'm pretty convinced that it's bad wiring. I don't know what else to change and I'll probably have to rewire the entire bike. I'm pretty upset at this point. I was sold a lemon. Will John do anything about this? Am I stuck with a bike that my son can only look at?

Old 11-05-2007, 07:08 AM
Trailblazer

Oh, and I'm sorry I can't be more help Steve! I wish I could.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wings36,

I can not tell you myself the last time that I also have been this frustrated.

I have actively been repairing cars now for 19 years.

I have built two cars from the ground up, and two electrical systems from scratch for these two cars and did not have any problems at all.

I have checked everything I could check on here, I have pulled the magneto out and can not find anything wrong with it. I have tested the regulator to see if it is not sending out the correct voltage also. I have gone over every connection in the wiring harness and have corrected many faults and lose connectors and still can not get this thing to spark at all.

I have taken the 90cc with all wiring out of the quad to work on my work bench at home.

I am pretty sure now that I will need to spend the money on ALL NEW connectors and wiring just to convince myself it is not the harness, but even with this, it may not even fix the issue I have with it.

In my case......I think it is just best now for me to walk away from it and just spend the $200 on buying a brand new engine and not worrying if it will fire or not. I hate to say this, but this really is very cheap chinese junk I am investing way too much time on.

In your case......If I remember, you say that this is only a few weeks old now? I would call John and ask him if you could ship it back for a repair or refund and see what happens? Maybe ask him if you could have it repaired locally to you and have them foot the bill?

Either way you look at it, and I am not poking fun at you because I am in the same boat here, we both bought cheap chinese junk that does not last long.

When someone can tell me that having three ground wires held together ONLY by black electrical tape is not a SORRY *** EXCUSE for how to wire a quad, then I will admit I am wrong, but until then I know I am right with my opinion.

I will say though that RACEWAY is very very helpful on the phone and does stand behind what they sell, so I feel that you will be satisfied at the end.

Let me know what comes of this?

Steve

Old 11-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah, if I could do it all over again I wouldn't have bought this bike. It's been nothing but a headache so far and is sucking up too much of my time. Hopefully John at Raceway can make this right. If not, I will not buy another China bike.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

wings36,

No question we will take care of this, give a call in in the A.M and we will take care of it!

Old 11-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks John for responding to this thread. I need to give you a call around 4:00 PM if that's ok with you, since I can't get away from work right now. Also I've sent you a PM.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Kazuma Falcon 90 Deluxe - no spark!!