Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Picking and Modding the Kids ATV

Old 10-22-2007, 01:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking and Modding the Kids ATV

Hello All,
Newbie to this forum and I must say there is some excellent info on here. Especially the info on setting up the Honda Clone Quads. As introduction, I have been riding, everything from Street racers to dirtbikes to cruisers for over 25 years. I am could not class myself as a mechanic, but can turn a wrench pretty well.
I have just bought my 6 year old one of these little quads, hence why I am on this forum.
For my first post, I thought I'd try and give some useful advice.

1. Lots of people asking about "what size" for their kids quad. Many people are advising about engine size. The first thing you should look at is fit, then decide what you want your kid to use it for - backyard, trails, hills etc. Then you need to make an informed decision on power. And I mean POWER not engine SIZE or SPEED. You could get a 50cc 2-stroke with 20hp or a 50cc 4-stroke with 5hp!! That 50cc 4-stroke will go ok on the flat, but your kid may struggle getting up a hill. Size and power are not always proportional, intake, exhaust etc have a HUGE effect on power output. The Chinese ATVs are , in general,underpowered size for size compared to the bigger brands.

2. Once you have decided on the power (I opted for a 110cc 4-stroke for my kid), think about how to control it with it's precious cargo. I bought a 110cc for the power, but it is too much speed (even with the governor wound in) for him. So you put on the biggest sprocket you can on the rear end, this decreases speed and increases torque. Therefore my sons ATV goes pretty slow (with govenor wound in) but still has torque to climb some good hills.
Someone on this site said to put a bigger sprocket on the FRONT for power - NO that increases SPEED and decreases power.

3. Get wheel spacers (2" -3") on front and rear, whether you think you need them or not. There is some great info on this site on wheel spacers. They completely change the whole quad. My kid felt a bit unstable, I spaced out the wheels and now he is like he was born to ride the thing.

4. Someone, I think on this site, complained about no front brakes on Chinese ATVs "If they were going downhill fast, no front brake would mean they were in great danger" Aaaargh!! Please teach your kid that if they are going fast downhill - DO NOT USE the front brake (if the ATV has one) - this could cause the ATV to tip over the front. General Rule:

DOWNHILL = REAR BRAKE
UPHILL = FRONT BRAKE

5. My next mod is to hook-up a front brake system. Anyone found a front brake kit!!

6. Why Chinese? I can turn a wrench and wanted to get my son started on something that doesn't brake the bank and if it gets a few knocks so what. I have never really been an "All the Gear - No Idea" kind of person anyway and I do not want my son to be. I want him to learn how to ride well and not THINK he can ride because he has the most expensive ATV on the block. Also, I think I spent as much on my kids safety gear as I did on the ATV!! I HATE seeing anybody, but especially kids, riding without full safety gear.

7. Oh yeah - budget for a full set of safety gear BEFORE you buy the ATV!!

Old 10-23-2007, 04:35 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NeilH

Great advise. I also had a 110cc chinese quad for my son. And it was OK for putting around the yard. The suspension was his biggest gripe about it. It was super stiff. I'm not trying to attack the chinese quads but used quads are another option.

I picked up a used LT80 for $900 which is about what a new Chinese quad runs for at that size. It was prescratched up by the previous owner but my boy prefereed the 8 year old Suzuki. We bought some new wheels and tires for it, wheel spacers for the front (the new rear wheels were alot wider than stock), fancy grips, lights, etc. It has ran flawlessly and we got rid of the Komoto.

My mechanical ability sounds like it is similar to yours which is why I have sworn off new quads and pick them up off of Craigslist. I paid $5500 for mine new. Between my wife and kids we have had 5 other quads and I didn't pay as much for them all combined.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:18 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums NeilH. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Good post. Must say, I seen a few of the "All the gear-No idea" people out on the trail. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]