Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

DRX90 vs Apex vs Honda TRX vs Suzuki 90

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 12:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRX90 vs Apex vs Honda TRX vs Suzuki 90

Experts,

Please help. I am weary of the "off brands" since I have had bad experiences with a chinese go cart and a motorcycle. Now it is time to get the son a quad. Looking at the specs on the Apex and DRX, they both look superior, but is the quality and reliability there?

I do not want to waste money and be aggrivated chasing parts. The boy wants to get into racing, but will mostly trail ride. Any experience with these quads would be great thanks.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:20 PM
Range Rover

Well I'm not an expert but I've been aound them all. I will not bash the Apex, but they don't seem to last in the XC racing we do.

How old is the boy and what type of racing will you do. If your looking for the best woods quad then the Honda is the ticket. We switched last year to the Honda. For 1 of the classes he races in. For many reasons. First the Honda is the tuffest mini out there. The engine is bullet proof. Plus it's a 4 stroke. The 2 strokes are going to be a thing of the past. Thanks to the darn TREE HUGGERS! You can build them to make some extreme power that will last longer. It seems when the 2 smokes get hot they loose alot of power. Another thing with the 2 smokes you have to rebuild the topend every other race.

I believe 1 is better off going with the 4 strokes because every1 is building more Thumpers and getting away from the smokers. I mean the big 4 dealers.

If your looking for a wicked 70cc mini I have the 1 in my pictures for sale.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help. I checked out your page, looks like Jr is some racer. My boy is 6, so I have been a little hesitant about getting the TRX 90 because it is on the big size for a six year old in my opinion. However, two of his 6 year old buddies are riding them and both are much smaller than he is. He is big for 6. He aslo has a 9 year old sister that is going to want to ride it some too.

AFter more thought, I am leaning toward the TRX, mostly due to theengine braking ability vs the CVT when he will be going downhill. I worry more about stopping and slowing down since he is not the best with hand brakes in the world.

He does want to race though, so I may have to get a 50 for him. I haven't raced for 15 years. I am just now getting back into it myself. I raced 3 wheelers and a KX250 fifteen years ago. I am torn between getting a Z400 and just playing around, or getting a 450 and hitting the track again. I know he wants to race. He is good on a motorcycle, but this will be his first ATV.

Who makes the Arctic Cat that you are selling? I am not familiar with that 50. Is it a taiwanese or chinese machine? How much do you want for it? What has been done to it? What are the restrictions on cc for the different age divisions at the track now? I noticed that you are in Elkiins WV. I am in Ironton, OH which is just acrossed the river from Huntington, WV so we are not too far apart.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:41 PM
Range Rover

The DRR brand is top notch!! Quality and reliability...150% there...this is not a knock off brand...it is the real deal!!

The products are great and the people at DRR are even better...

The 2007 DRX 90s are available with optional water cooling, 4 wheel disk brakes, 44" wide dual a-arm stance(42" wide in the past) and MX tire set up 19" front and 16" rear....plus lots of other goodies as standard (like performance exhaust)

The DRX50 has won the 50cc stk limited class the last 3 yrs....

Now that DRR has the 50 stk lmtd class in hand they are now focusing on the 90cc class for 2007.....

The Apex is a nice quad, but is also about $1,000 more than the DRX90 in stock form...

The Honda is nice, but you have to spend money to make it race ready....dollar for dollar the DRX90 is the winner

http://www.drrinc.com

Old 02-20-2007, 11:45 PM
Range Rover

Also---DRR has a 50cc, 70cc and 90cc available now...

At age 6 your boy would be in a 50cc or 70cc class on the National race tracks circuit (in case you ever wanted to race at this level)

Check with your local tracks to see how strict their age and mod guidelines are for their mini quad classes.

It can be a real pain if the track is overly strict and you change 1 thing on the quad that puts your child in a class that they can't compete in....

Things like that make an unenjoyable experience for sure...