Kids Quads & Other ATV's - Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Chinese made ATV. mywifesquad, LT80, LynnEdwards and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

Eton Viper 90 RXL ignition wiring question

Old 02-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eton Viper 90 RXL ignition wiring question

I have to re-solder the wires to the ignition key switch, the back of it has 4 solder spots and i got 4 wires, black with a white stripe, black, red, and brown. I need to know where they go, any help would be great last thing i gotta fix on this lil bastard,........ Thanks

Old 02-08-2011, 12:44 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You need to trace out your ignition switch. Measure the four pads with an ohmmeter. When the switch is "on" you will find two pairs of pads shorted together - i.e. one pair of pads is shorted, and another pair of pads is shorted, but there will be no connection between the two separate pairs.

When the switch is "off" there will be no connection between any of the four pads.

Your ignition switch is actually two separate switches ganged together on a common shaft. You have a pair of switches on, or a pair of switches off. This is the eton way.

Note that generic chinese quads have a completely different scheme for the ignition switch - where one switch pair is 'on' and one pair 'off' when the ignition switch is on, and the opposite is true when the ignition switch is off - the first pair is 'off' and the second 'on'.

If your sure you have an eton style ignition switch, then hook the red and brown wires to one switched pair of pads, and the black and black/white to the other. It doesn't matter which way around the wires go for each pair.

The red wire is fused 12 volts. The brown wire is switched fused 12 volts. The black wire is ground. The Black/White wire is the kill switch connection. Etons require a ground at the CDI kill switch connection for spark to occur. Again, this is unlike chinese generic quads which require the ground be disconnected from the kill switch connection for the CDI to make spark.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the clarity i think haha, yeah i found a wire diagram i had so i should get it fixed today, if u know off hand does the throttle valve have a spring inside it for the needle to drop through, the needle was jammed full of mud so i had it soaking but i pulled the needle thru the bottom and think i stretched out a spring that was inside and lost it , if it one thing its another , i dont think the people before me ever took this thing apart and maintained it