Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

lakota valve clearance check?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 12:07 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lakota valve clearance check?

I would also recommend the #134 main jet. Have you checked you spark plug color? It should be tan, not black (rich) or white (lean). One other tip is to remove the black rubber cover over the air intake tube in the upper front part of the quad. To do this, remove the hood and the black rubber cover is riveted to the hood. You will get a lot more air with no water entry problems. I have been running my Lakota this way for a year with no problems. If any water does enter, there are several water “catches” in the tube before it gets to the air filter area.
Gaff, The Warrior is quite a bit quicker than the Lakota. In stock form, the Warrior was easily beating the piped/jetted Mojaves I ride with, and the Mojaves were faster than the Lakota piped/jetted. With the Warrior now piped /jetted, it should be significantly faster than both the Mojave and Lakota. The Warrior also has a lower seat height than the Lakota. I am tall, so I like the feel better. It is taking me a little effort to get used to the manual clutch again. I got so used to just shifting without a clutch that it is a little awkward now with the manual shift. I do have more control on the down shifts and can ease the clutch out with more control than the Lakota however. I think the Lakota is a great quad, but the extra 45-50 lbs over the Warrior makes a big difference in speed.

Old 10-29-2002, 12:22 AM
Trailblazer

Well yeah now that you mention it the last time i check the plug it was black?I guess i will have that jet changed too,does removing the black rubber cover help on power?Some say that if your running a K&N air filter and remove the rubber cover you have more chances of getting dirt in the engine?Thanks Warrior350CR(A.K.A - Lakota300CR) for your help and advice.

Old 10-29-2002, 01:04 AM
Trailblazer

LakotaSportRider

You will not increase the chances of getting dirt in the engine as long as you use a quality filter (K&N are great). Dirt can stil enter the air intake tube with the rubber cover installed. I use a foam Twin Air filter and clean it regularly. You will flow more air and YES, increase power. I noticed a difference right away on my lakota. The stock air intake system on the Lakota/Mojave is quite restrictive. There is about 3 feet of tubing (including the air box) that air must run through before it gets to the carb and motor, so anything you can do to help reduce the air restriction is going to give you more power. If you are changing the jet to the #134, also adjust the air/fuel screw out 3 to 3.25 full turns (stock is 2.25-2.5) to increase throttle response and midrange. When the time comes for new tires, go with 20" in back and 22" in front. The 20" make a big differnce in cornering. If you do this, change the front sproket from a 12 tooth to a 13 tooth to keep the same overall gear ratio. Good luck and have fun !!

Old 10-29-2002, 08:21 AM
Pro Rider

Oh yes, I'm ever so aware of the wieght, lol. I have to stay in real good shape not to let it get to me while racing. This past week during the arena cross proved if I'm not in top shape the wieght can and will get to me very quickly.

I'm 235 pounds wich doesn't help the matter much. I've reduced heavy wieght training to get down to as far as 228, wich does help. But the wieght is getting to me. I can only imagine if I get the KFX how much better of a rider the lakota would have made me.

Real happy to hier your report on the warrior. I hierd they can be a lil front heavy but also hierd they pull real well and the 6th gear doesn't hurt at all.

Well I'll be looking forward to hiering more about it as the experiences unfold.