Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Is this a good deal on 2006 Kawasaki Brute Force 650?

Old 04-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good deal on 2006 Kawasaki Brute Force 650?

Hello all,

I'm in the market for a full size quad. My kids have a couple of Honda TRX250EXs (sport) so I'm looking for one for me and the wife to ride along with them. My first option was going to be a Polaris Sportsman 500EFI/800EFI for a couple of reasons. Availability: There are a lot of dealers around so service would be convenient and there are a lot of them out there so it wouldn't be hard to find. Second: Fuel injection. It would be nice not having to deal with messing around with carbs. Third: It seems like they have just about everything I'd want in a quad. My friend works in service at a dealership near me and they sell Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda and Polaris. He really steered me away from Polaris because they were more problematic than other brands. Hence, I've decided to take a harder look at other brands. He mentioned he had a buddy that had a 2006 Kawasaki Brute Force 650 4x4 in Aztec Red with winch and only 1000 miles and he's asking right around $4000. He bought it with a knock in the engine and he replaced the camshaft, rockers and oil pump and the knock is gone. I have not seen it yet but I will this weekend. I forgot to ask if it was the straight axle or IRS version. Does $4000 seem like a good price for this ATV? We are planning going to the Black Hills once and then a couple times to Wyoming (father in law lives there). If I buy this ATV, do I need to rejet the carbs for altitudes below 5000ft?
Sorry for the long post!

Old 04-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

I've heard the same thing about Polaris... breaking down more often than others. You are right that in 2006 there were two versions, SRA and IRS. For me, I like the handling of SRA on fast/flat trail ride. But if you would be on rocky/rough terrain, IRS is a better bet for you.

The asking price $4000 seems sound OK assuming EVERYTHING is working and NOTHING is broken. Make sure the knocking noise is gone or fixed. It can be the rod bearing that's going out which will cost you $2000 to fix. People not taking care of air filter, riding quad in mud hole always have some kind of engine problem.

That 650 is carbed but you should not have any running problem at around 5000'. I have a carbed 700 at 5600' and runs perfectly. They are jetted on leaner side from factory and it may run even better at little high elevation. But still the carb gets gummed up with today's poor gasoline quality if not ridden just for a few weeks. If I were you, I will get a EFI Kawi 750 (2008 and up) but will cost you more.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the input Hayashi. I did find out it has the straight axle suspension vs the independent. Not a deal breaker but IRS would have made the deal even more attractive. I meet with the guy on Saturday so we'll see what it looks like then.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

Did you pick it up?
If yes, post some pics!

Old 04-18-2011, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

Can't believe Im gonna say this but i would rather have a polaris than any of the kawasaki vtwin powered quads.. i had two and they were both the worst atvs i have ever owned. 1 was in the shop so much it basically ruined a whole summer of riding.. i can't even talk about it it's too painful to remember =)