Go Back   ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community » Brand Discussions Area » Kawasaki
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to ATVConnection Forums!
Welcome to ATVConnection.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the ATVConnection Forums community today!

Reply Share this with your friends
Old 03-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Default 1987 Bayou 185 Wiring Diagram

Fine Folks

As many people before me, I need a full wiring diagram of an 87 Bayou 185. I'm new and just learning about atv's (as proof - trying to make a non running 87 bayou come back to life) Help out a dumb person. Thanks
Old 03-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

I have a '88 220 wiring diagram which might be similar to 185.
What kind of specific electrical issue(s) are you having with the 185?
Old 03-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Default 1987 bayou wiring

Hey Thanks for the reply.

Well dumb people chopped up the harness and tried to bypass the Nuetral switch. But.... I have no fire, replaced the coil and still have no fire. I suspect the CDI but I cant rule out other things because the wiring is junk.
I have seen the 88 250 wiring and it has 5 wires to the CDI and mine has 7. It looks like the wiring from 85 - 87 would be about right. Thanks for the response and the bump.

Somebody please help me out there are several people before me that have been looking for this. Help the bumb newbee out.

thanks
Old 03-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Default 87 Bayou 185 wiring

Fine Folks

Maybe I can figure out what I need without the wiring diagram. The are a pair of wires (Red and Black)that come from the cdi to the motor. Anyone tell me what this is? There are 7 total wires from the cdi. Green goes to the coil. yellow/red and black/yellow are kill switch. and then blue and Black/white to pick up on motor.

any help?? thanks
Old 03-23-2011, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagecast View Post
The are a pair of wires (Red and Black)that come from the cdi to the motor. Anyone tell me what this is?
Red wire goes to the stator coil.
Black wire goes to the pickup coil.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Default 87 Bayou 185 CDI/ wiring

anyone have a 1985 - 87 185 cdi????
Old 03-25-2011, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

You may want to look for a 220 cdi since it has 7 wire connection also, just like 185 does.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Default 1987 Bayou wiring

Anybody have a 1987 220 wiring diagram??
Old 04-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

I could be wrong, but the CDI is the little black box mounted near the wheel with the magnet pickup. It should only have 2 wires coming off it, the stator next to this location also has 2 wires. Are you looking at the harness behind the battery the voltage regulator? I wouldnt mess with the CDI if you have wiring issues elsewhere first.

I can take a picture of my wiring for you if you like, or you could tell me which wires are cut and ill tell you where to reconnect. Let me know if I can help out.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Reply Share this with your friends

Tags
185, 1985, atv, bayou, bypass, cdi, coil, diagram, diagrams, digram, ignition, kawasaki, loom, wire, wiring