Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

I think I have some engine trouble (Bayou 220)

Old 01-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I have some engine trouble (Bayou 220)

I posted here a while back on my Bayou 220. Since then it has been through quite the resurrection, for those who haven't heard it I explained below.

Basically I bought a pile of a 1999 Bayou 220 back in September. Took me about 2 days to get it all back together and running, and it has been running great except for some minor bumps. The problems I am posting about today have been happening for quite some time now. Here they are.

1. Oil leaks around the left side of the cylinder (I had a major leak coming from the generator case, fixed that), it seems like it comes mostly from where the exhaust pipe bolts to the engine and around the left side of the top and bottom head-gaskets. When I received it the head bolts had been removed and there was some dirt in the holes, so two of them did not go in all the way. Instead of doing what I should have, I stuck a nut under the head of head-bolt and tightened it down on that. I did not torque it, just snugged it. I think this may be the cause of this problem. Also, when you rev it up (redline) blue smoke comes off the exhaust. I think this is due because oil leaking out and then burning on the hot exhaust manifold. This is not a fast leak, I can keep plenty of oil in it for 2-3 months. I am using standard 10W-40 ATV oil. I will change it in spring to 20-50 or similar.

2. There is a nipple on the top of the timing chain cover, which I think is a PCV vent. I was told that as long as it is a non-CA model (it isn't) to just vent it into open air. I have been doing this, but I read a post about something like it is a cooling fan or something. I am not sure what to do in this case.

3. The electrical system is a mess. On the red plug that goes into the solenoid, there are 3 wires, all of which have current on them regardless of the starter button being pushed or not. This leads me to believe there is a short in the button somewhere. I have located what I think is the generator wire (black with yellow stripe, about 2 volts on it) and when touched to the battery the starter relay (not solenoid clicks. It will also click when moved up into gear, but not when moved into reverse. I have tested both switches and they work properly and aren't sticking.
The ignition was gone (key ignition) and there is a toggle switch wired in. There is a brown and white wire going to it, but the relay does not click when turned on or off. This drained the battery I had in it. What wires are supposed to go into the stock ignition switch? There is another loose brown wire and what looks like a double plug of sorts? I have no idea what is what up there. Do you guys think the relay is bad? I am stumped here. A new harness is only 40.00, so I might just save myself the trouble and start off new.

I have uploaded pictures of my oil leaks.

Name:  100_1249.jpg
Views: 1862
Size:  117.8 KB
Name:  100_1248.jpg
Views: 3295
Size:  155.4 KB
Name:  100_1247.jpg
Views: 6095
Size:  205.0 KB
Name:  100_1251.jpg
Views: 1894
Size:  83.2 KB
Name:  100_1250.jpg
Views: 1930
Size:  111.5 KB

The black crud is dirt.
Thanks.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:29 PM
Range Rover

Replace the base gasket between the jug and block should fix the oil leak. I have a 300 Kawasaki wiring diagrahm on my computer but can't figure out how to atttach it to this reply.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I forgot to bump this thread, I have since fixed all my electrical problems. I only need the solenoid.

While I had it apart I noticed the two left bolts were not even tight. I tightened them down and once I find the torque specs will torque them down. To change the seal I will have to pull the jug off and that means new rings, so I will replace all the seals when I have to rebuild the motor.