Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

2002 kawasaki 300 boging down

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 07:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2002 kawasaki 300 boging down

hello all
i am having an issue. wheeler starts and idles great. but when you push on the gas it just wants to bog down. i can ease into the gas and it will rev up a little but not much.after it bogs down i let off the gas and it idles fine. this is in neutral and drive. ive checked the air filter, petcock, carb is getting plenty of fuel, i cleaned out the two jets in the carb. i cant really think of anything else any one have any ideas. help would be great. this is my boys and he's iching to ride. thanks for the help

Old 11-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Trailblazer

I just went through the same thing, see the post below.

I'd clean the carb again really good. Take the top cover off if you haven't already and pull out the diaphragm and needle and clean it really good. Also check the diaphragm for any tears.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

hello all
and thanks for the reply jfortne

i pulled it off again last night. and checked the diaphram and needle but everthing looks great. im not
what to check next. to me out seems like An air our fuel issue but i can't find anything wrong

thanks again

Old 11-26-2012, 02:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

So i went threw and checked the air tube that rns from the box up to the stearing wheel.(tought there might be a mouse nest) but all clear. checked all the lines running from the carb but nothing torn. but today i did get it to rev up when it was cold and with the choke on. but only a few times then right back to boging down and almost dieing but then ideling fine. i'm lost anyone have anything??

Thanks

Old 11-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Assuming it's not electrical, it really sounds like the main jet to me.

Air filter clean and not overoiled.
Carb getting plenty of fuel, verify by opening bowl drain and turning on petcock.
Petcock is clean/clear, right? Have you pulled it out of tank to verify. Tank clean?

Unlikely but easy to check spark plug wire is secure and good, as well as spark plug.

Not familiar with this carb but sometimes there is a little aluminum piece that the needle drops down thru before it goes into the main jet and this piece is in the throat of the carb. Some people don't get that piece in correctly but if the atv used to run fine and now it doesn't and the carb hasn't been touched then that is not a likely cause.

Now we're back to the jets. Main jet should be removed and verified that it is clean. If it has previously been cleaned/cleared with a small drill bit or abrasive, replace the jet. they are only $4 or so.

Needle must be clean and smooth and there should be a clip at the top in one of the notches. If that clip has fallen out, the needle will not rise with the slide and therefore no fuel and motor dies.

Lots of little passages in these carbs but since it doesn't seem to run at full throttle then I'm not suspecting them at this point but if the carb was dirty you may as well take some extra time to ensure these pinhole size passages are clear.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

so the filer looks good,it is getting plenty of fuel screens in the tank are clean.when it warms up i can get it to run ok with the choke all the way on. but when i turn the choke off it starsts to bog out will not rev up at all.i have cleaned the jets good. and it has good spark. thanks for the help. is there anything else you can think of

Old 11-29-2012, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider

I listed everything I could think of and if you've done/checked those things, seems you have only a few choices (that I can think of anyhow).

If you know someone with the same machine who will let you swap carbs, try that.

Take it to a mechanic.

If the machine previously ran fine and nobody had the carb apart in between, I'd still be suspecting the main jet or needle , check the diaphram for cracks or holes. Above the carb slide, there will be a plastic piece then spring then the carb cap. Make sure the plastic piece is installed such that the little hole in the slide is not blocked.

Also, if you've cleaned the main jet and needle, you should also check the hole the needle goes thru on its way to the main jet to make sure it is open.

One last thought, maybe the carb float level got messed up. The fuel level should probably be close to the seam between the bowl and carb body. Connect a small clear hose to bottom of carb bowl. I think it will have a nipple on the bottom. The hose should be about 18" long or so. Before opening up the drain to fill the hose, take loose end of hose and place it way up high above the carb. Now open drain screw and fuel will begin to fill hose but should not rise above seam. For air in the hose, slowly lower hose, like an inch, then stop and see where the fuel levels out, and do it multiple times until all the air is out and you are satisfied that you're seeing the fuel level out each time. Do not raise the hose though because that will not give accurate reading and you'll have to start over. On my street bike, they say the level should be like +- 1mm from seam so watch closely. If the carb doesn't sit level, try holding the hose at the middle of the bowl seam as viewed from the side of course.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Trailblazer

Mine is still not running good either. I guess my advice wasn't very useful since I can't get mine right either.

Mine does the same thing. It starts up, but as soon as I give it gas it bogs down and dies. If I catch it quick enough and let off it will return to idle. Really stinks, I've had the carb apart about 4 times now. Cleaned it out. Cleaned the gas tank out, I'm stumped. I haven't been able to ride this thing at all since I've had it. I believe my issue has something to do with the slide and needle, but it all looks good.

One more symptom I'm having now is, the choke doesn't seem to do anything. It actually starts better cold without the choke. If I turn it on while running it dies.

I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but just add information so maybe we can get it solved. Let me know if you've had any luck.

Thanks,
Joey

Old 12-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider

Is the vacuum hose connected and good?

Old 12-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Trailblazer

Where does it go?

Quick Reply: 2002 kawasaki 300 boging down