Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

PRAIRIE 360 SPITS N SPUTTERS LOW RPM

Old 06-05-2006, 12:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PRAIRIE 360 SPITS N SPUTTERS LOW RPM

we've got a prairie 360 that idles fine, high rpm fine, but giver a little gas,
and sputters/pops low rpm.
runs real rich.
would only run with choke partially on.
run with no air filter, no change.
weve had the carb apart many times, clean.
ckd diaphram, no holes.

someone told me that the 650 and 360 use the same carb???
that would make sense, being that it' s just running way too fat...

anyone see this before?

ThanX!

Old 06-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just tackled that problem:
Your exhaust valve will be to tight if you check the gap.

http://atv.dnsalias.com/forum.cgi?vi...&viewtopic=137

for more info

Old 06-14-2006, 06:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info. Ill check the exhaust valve setting.!

Old 06-15-2006, 01:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Check the adjustment on the mixture screw. It should be about 2 turns out from seated.

Old 06-17-2006, 11:22 PM

i dont know it the jets would have any thing to do with ot running rich but if it could check the jets on the carb
if you pull the plug after running it is there alot fo build up on the plug if so ur not running a plug hot enough

Old 06-21-2006, 01:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Gottagoatv, your Prairie 360 problem sounds something like the behavior of my wife's 360. We just got a pair of used Prairies - an '03 360 for her and an '02 650 for me. We love them! Had them out for the first camping/riding outing (in the Gould, CO area), and we had a ball.

The 650 runs perfectly. Unfortunately, the 360 will sorta stall out almost every time you accelerate hard. I had noticed this behavior when I rode it one day before out 4 day outing, but I didn't have time to check into it then. It proved to be real annoying over 4 days of riding. Both ATVs had just been serviced ($300+ each) when I took possession of them. In fact, the previous owner had a maintenance contract with the service prepaid, and he and I took the ATVs to the dealer for service the week after I purchased them from the guy. I guess I could take the 360 back to them and complain, but if things go as per normal, that would be the beginning of a frustrating series of confrontations with a dealer I won't be using in the future anyway (too far from home). I have more hope of finding the solution on this board.

Anyway, I'm going to check MVinWI's suggestion to see what the link says and see if it is something I could tackle. (Honestly, I'm not much of a wrench. It took me most of a day to install a Venom winch on the 360!) If there are other suggestions too, I'd love to hear them. I've been searching for a discussion thread on this topic, and this one seems to be the most relevant.

Thanks!

Old 06-21-2006, 02:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I checked the link (http://atv.dnsalias.com/forum.cgi?vi...&viewtopic=137), but that seems to relate to a 360 dying when the rider brings it to a stop. Is there some relationship with this problem and a 360 that suddenly loses power when the rider gets on the accelerator hard?

I had kinda thought I'd be dealing with either a carb problem or some malfunction of the KEBC system. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Old 06-24-2006, 04:01 AM
Trailblazer

Exaust valve needs adjustment. All 360's do this. The exaust valve goes out of adjustment pretty quickly. I'm not sure that they are even set correctly at the factory. Mine needed adjustment with less than 50 hours on it. From the time I bought it, it was "cold natured". Hard to start and had to set and let it warm up several minutes before it would run right. It would also pop and crack going down hill or when I let off the throttle. After I adjusted the exaust valve, it was like I had a new machine. It hasn't been cold natured since, and I don't have to choke it to crank it up even in real cold weather! No more poping and cracking and runs great.

Get the valve adjusted and do what hondabuster said and make sure the idle screw is 2 turns out and let us know the outcome. I'd almost bet the farm that's your problem whlsdn.

Old 06-24-2006, 11:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you! The service provided by the dealer when I bought the 360 from its previous owner supposedly included carb and valve adjustment. I'm not terribly surprised that they don't know what settings actually work best. I have ordered a service manual on CD. As soon as I receive that, I'll see if these adjustments are something I think I can do or if I need to take it somewhere to have it done. Then I'll report back.

Old 06-27-2006, 10:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, adjusted exhaust valve. it was a little out, but not much. set it, no change.
checked the diaphram in the carb again, all good.
still spits right off idle, runs like poo...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PRAIRIE 360 SPITS N SPUTTERS LOW RPM