Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Does My Mojave Have A Broke Ring?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does My Mojave Have A Broke Ring?

Well I just bought a new Mojave not long ago and have only put around 5 hours on it. I'll be the first to admit I didn't break in the the engine correctly [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] after 2 hours of slow riding I was nailing it and being pretty rough on it, figuring it would be okay!

Well I noticed the other day that it was smoking a little more than it should, nothing bad really. Just under acceleration a little not during idle. Then I noticed small puddles of oil under it after I would park it overnight. So I realzied somthing was up. I looked and the oil is coming from the drain tube around the air box. I took the clamp off that holds the drain nozzle (pinched together rubber piece) and engine oil just drained out of there like crazy. The oil was normal color but had a gas smell to it.

One guy I talked said it may have a broke ring and that is causing bad blow by into the air box area, that seems to make sense. What do you guys think?

Old 10-28-2005, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

it could have too much oil in it, Mojave's seem to be picky about haveing to much oil...and they will blow it out of the breather into the airbox...causeing the smoke

Old 10-29-2005, 01:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

I think you had carb problems and were way rich for some reason. You burnished the cylinder and you compounded the problem by going easy on break-in.
Now; you may have a burnished cylinder and the rings will never seat.
You also may have so much gas in your oil; like rolsmojave3 said, your oil level may be too high and too thin causing smoke.
A leak down is the only way to tell if damage is done.

Old 10-29-2005, 11:14 AM
Range Rover

If you did a bunch of hillclimbing or long wheelies, the crankcase breather will vent oil into the airbox on a mojave every time. It's a really sweet design, just about as brilliant as the whole air box really. If you are really worried about it, since it's "new", just blow it up and get it fixed under warranty.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-29-2005, 06:33 PM
Range Rover

If I were you, do an oil change. I'm sure the oil that they came with is junk. Also, look in the oil for any metal flakes. If you broke a ring, you would lose compression and it wouldn't beable to start. So I doubt its a broken ring. Next time, break it in properly [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-29-2005, 11:44 PM
Trailblazer

If your air filter is plugged the engine will try to get air wherever it can. This makes it draw oil from the crankcase vent into the airbox, It will also make it run very rich, due to lack of air flow, witch would explain the gas smell in the oil.

Old 10-30-2005, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider

Excellent information guys! Just what I was looking for, thank you. I will change oil in it, check the air box and everything then see what happens from there.

Old 11-01-2005, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: 96lapiscoupe
If you did a bunch of hillclimbing or long wheelies, the crankcase breather will vent oil into the airbox on a mojave every time. It's a really sweet design, just about as brilliant as the whole air box really.
There's a plug in the bottom of the airbox that your supposed to drain every 3-5 hours. It gets filled with oil and then it gets sucked into the carb.

Old 11-04-2005, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

Well I changed the oil and it only had a few metal shavings in it maybe 5 small ones total (keep in mind this was the first oil change ever) however the oil did smell like gas big time.

I have verified that the only place that the oil is leaking from is the drain tube, it's a clear one thats comes out of a black box that IS behind the airbox, next to where the rear shock top mount is. What exactly is that box for?

Old 11-04-2005, 10:46 AM
Range Rover

I would think even just a few metal shavings in the oil could be bad. But, maybe thats common?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Does My Mojave Have A Broke Ring?