Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

BF650 wet brake no fluid?

Old 01-23-2005, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BF650 wet brake no fluid?

The dealer said that there wasn't any fluid in my rear brake when I brough it in for the break in check up. What's up with that? Is this something that was missed in the PDI or is it normal under high usuage? I use the rear brake pretty much all the time while plowing since it's the most convenient. I plow for about 12 houses.

The mechanic asked if I was riding my brake, which I wasn't...soo I don't know...

Old 01-24-2005, 12:52 AM
Trailblazer

It should have been filled and then checked again before you bought it. Sounds like the dealer didn't fill it up and ALSO didn't check it. The rear brake fluid should not disappear from usage. I would be pretty mad about this and I would demand that they do a complete inspection of the rear diff and break system. Plowing could have done some damage w/ no fluid in their. It Might be okay now, but later on the wear and damage could surface. AFTER your warrenty is gone.

Old 01-24-2005, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

I'm more p*ssed now. I'm new to Kawi, and at the time didn't realize that the wet brake shares fluid with the rear diff. It's been a couple days since I picked it up...so what am I supposed to do, take it back and get PO'd again? I asked the guy if it could cause any damage and he told me "no." This gets me worried.

Old 01-24-2005, 12:33 PM
Trailblazer

If you keep loosing fluid it may be going into the swing arm. There are 4 bolts that hold the skid plate on the rear diff. Looking at the back of the machine take the right front bolt out and see if any oil comes out. The bolt hole goes into the swing arm where the drive shaft is. The bolt has an 8 mm head. If oil comes out it is leaking out the rear diff input shaft seal.

Old 01-24-2005, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

wetbrake fluid should never go down unless there is a leak. sorry but this is the dealers fault for not putting any in there. you would think the dealer would check this stuff before they give you your new $7000 bike. this is what kills dealers, their own ineptness. how many miles are on your new brute? i know you said you plowed with it, but it may not really have done any real damage. the brake is a series of plates that kinda press together, put simply, kinda a simple idea actually. you really may never need to replace these plates but some people have. it was VERY WRONG for the dealer not to put it in and not check it, but it may have not really caused any damage. my brother pulled his apart after 2000 miles two replace swingarm bearings and the seals between the swingarm and brake/diff and the brake and all its internals looked like new. just make sure it is full up the the bottom threads of filler hole. man i really dont like dealeers but somtimes you have to put up with them. make sure the dealer makes note of this if you plan on bringing it in for further maintenance.
oh yeah, riding the brake with not have any effect on the fluid level, it is there for lubrication only, not for pressure. that mechanic was trying to make sound like it was your fault which is wasnt.

Old 01-24-2005, 08:23 PM
Range Rover

Yep, either a bad leak or it was never filled from the delaer. Damn man, it's a good thing you caught that...

Make sure they know that this is bad and you expect everything to be perfect when you ride it again.

Mike

Old 01-24-2005, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

I brought it into the dealer with about 70 miles on it and about 21 hours. I rode some trails but then I also did ALOT of plowing. I plow for about 10-12 driveways. Since I had the BF (about 3 1/2 weeks) we had about 4 or 5 plowable snowfalls. I do use the rear brake 90% of the time because it's the easiest to use when plowing and shifting, plus I'm used to my Polaris (brakes on left side only).

I think I am going back up there to have a few words with the guys in the service dept. and definately have them print me a new reciept with this problem noted on it (at least). All that's on the reciept is the bottle of fluid, which I don't think would be clear enough proof down the road if something comes up.

When I went to pick the quad up from the dealer the guy's first words were "have you ridden the quad with the rear brakes locked?" To that I asked, "Why?" Then he told me how there was barely (if any) fluid in the rear diff. and that the brakes came down to the bar. But when I asked if this could pose any future problems he said no. I find that hard to believe.

You guys think it would be cool to go up there and demand them to inspect it? I don't want to be an a**hole nor do I want to be b*llsh*tted. IF there is any obvious visable damage I think it will only be seen in the brakes. For all I know they could just keep the quad for a day and say, "Yup. She's all good."