Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Problem with starting 220 bayou

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 07:48 PM
cue
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with starting 220 bayou

I was wondering if anyone could give me info. about the problem i have with my 1996 kawasaki 220 bayou. The electric start dosn't work and the head lights won't stay charged. I've had the start motor out and hooked booster cables up to it to see if it still worked. The start motor checked out ok. I checked the start button and that checked out ok. I've also replaced the battery. Bike starts every time by using the pull cord. The solonid switch relay is making a ticking sound when ever the bike is ideling slow. When the bike is reving there's no sound. On the light topic the lights will stay bright for about 10 mins. after that they go dull, even with the bike going and reving up.

Old 01-17-2005, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

It sounds as if you might have a wire that is shorting to ground. This would not only drain your battery but also cause the voltage regulator to cycle on and off as it overloads from the short. A simple way to check this is to connect a volt/amp meter between the positive terminal post on the battery and the wire that connects to it. There should zero current flowing if the key switch is off. If you find current flow, leave the meter connected and begin to inspect the wiring for breaks or missing insulation. Pay attention to the meter as you do this to see if you happen to break the short as you inspect the wiring.

I remember reading a post some time ago from a Bayou 220 owner who has this very problem as a result of the wires that ran just under the seat and near the battery compartment area.

Old 01-17-2005, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

I shocked your having problems with a bayou my friend has a 96 220 and it still starts up fine and it is beat like hell. Check all the wire connections and make sure the circuit is complete.

Old 01-18-2005, 08:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 96 220 also and had a starting problem. I had the starter rebuilt then 2 weeks later the solenoid went out and I changed that when about 3 months later I thought it went out again. The nuetral light quit coming on and all that. Sometimes it would click once and that would be it after some test we came to the conclusion it was the starter relay so I bought a new one and while I was waiting for it to come in I took the ground wire of the left side of the motor cleaned the bolt and when I stuck the bolt back in the motor everything came on the nuetral light and the starter worked and has been for about 2 months now. Maybe this will help you out a little. Good luck.